Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AutoBoot disable for M1

When will Apple update MacOS for M1 to be able to disable Auto-boot?

The MacBook Air M1 has two problems:

1. The magnet mechanism to trigger the screen on/off is not well designed. The screen can easily be turned on by putting the computer close to a magnet (as for example a laptop sleeve with magnetic closure instead of a zipper)
  2. In the same way the auto-boot function can easily be false triggered by a magnet. For example it is impossible to insert the MacBook Air into a sleeve with magnetic closer without booting it. That is really not smart.

There are also many other reasons to give users the option to disable Auto-Boot. (see other threads online). So please Apple, make it happen!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 5:12 AM

If you have feedback for Apple, then please use the feedback form: Feedback - MacBook Air - Apple

They won’t be reading it here.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 14, 2022 1:36 AM in response to etresoft

It's not a problem with the sleeve!

The problem is that it is possible to turn on the MacBook Air accidentally with any kind of magnet. The sleeve is one of many examples. Placing my iPhone 13 or my AirPods 3 on the bottom of the laptop (near the screw on either side on the center line) will also turn it on. Even placing my iPad on it can boot up the MB Air.

None of my previous MacBooks had this problem, so very clearly the magnetic sensor of the MB Air is poorly designed. And clearly it's a problem that the auto-boot function can not be switched off.

Next you are probably going to tell me that I don't need to power off my laptop, I can just close the lid and let it sleep. But I don't agree. There are situations where you want your computer to be fully off, and where you want to be sure that it can NOT power ON accidentally.

AutoBoot disable for M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.