Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable autoboot when lid opens on MacBook Pro M1 2020

Hi,

I'm looking to disable the auto boot up setting attached to the MacBook Pro M1 chip. I understand there is a sudo command you can enter via the terminal for intel-based systems but that doesn't seem to work on M1 based systems.

To date, my 2020 MacBook Pro automatically starts up when I plug in my power adapter or open the lid and this function (although I'm sure is great for some) becomes a hassle for those like me who just want to shutdown the laptop and plug it in to charge and/or open the laptop to clean the screen and then close it without having to take extra steps to now wait for the boot up to finish just to shut it back down again. I imagine it can't be good for the system to start it up and shut it down 2-3x more often during the life of the device due to cleaning or plugins. It doesn't seem wise to have this function just to shave the 1 second it takes to turn on the device.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 5:55 PM

Unfortunately I am not aware of any way to disable this unfortunate feature nor of a way to disable the even more annoying pressing of any key to power on the laptop. You can provide Apple with product feedback here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply

How to disable autoboot when lid opens on MacBook Pro M1 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.