Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View one track in piano roll while editing another

I have several software instrument tracks.

Track 1 has my chords.

Track 4 is where I want to place new notes. I want them to be chord-friendly but don't necessarily want to duplicate the chord notes, so I have to be able to see the track 1 notes while I'm working.

I want to view track 1 in the piano roll while using the pencil tool to click notes into track 4 in the same piano roll without having any effect on the notes in track 1. That is, I want to be able to make my decisions on which notes to add to track 4 based on the contents of track 1, using track 1 as a visual guide only. Is there a way to accomplish this without actually copying the notes from track 1 into track 4 and then getting rid of them when I'm done?

Does the answer change if the track 1 region runs from the start of measure 1 to the start of measure 3, then loops, while track 4 starts in measure 9?

Logic 10.6.1.

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 2:57 AM

Hi

Try this:

Set the regions to different colours

Open Piano Roll Editor

In Piano Roll, View > Set Note Colour > By Region Colour

Select both regions in the Workspace

CCT

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 6, 2021 7:32 PM in response to CCTM

I thought this solved it, but it's not behaving consistently. Some of my key clicks (e.g., moving the selected note up the scale) and command-click pencils are getting misdirected to the track that I don't want to touch. If I lock that track, I sometimes get the error when I click that the track is locked instead of my action being directed to the unlocked track I'm interested in.

This is even though I've made sure R is only red on the track I'm interested in changing.

View one track in piano roll while editing another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.