Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch Solo Loop band broke

My Apple Watch Solo Loop band is 4 months old and broke while I was taking it off. Is replacement covered or do I just buy another one. I haven't really done anything other than take it on and off. Shouldn't it last longer than this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 3:46 PM

Mine started tearing from normal use after 5-months and I was told the warranty does not cover it. It was escalated and they still said Apple is not covering the Solo Loop under warranty if it tears and that my only recourse is to go into a store to have someone look at it. It is ridiculous that they aren't covering it and that if I want to have someone review the decision I have to go into a store during a pandemic. Apple made it sound like this was such a durable band. If I had know it was prove to failure and would not be covered under warranty I would have chosen a different band when I bought my watch. Basically what this policy is saying is that the expected life of a Solo Loop band is counted in months and not years.

I am so very disappointed in Apple right now.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 3:46 PM in response to CMB2112

Mine started tearing from normal use after 5-months and I was told the warranty does not cover it. It was escalated and they still said Apple is not covering the Solo Loop under warranty if it tears and that my only recourse is to go into a store to have someone look at it. It is ridiculous that they aren't covering it and that if I want to have someone review the decision I have to go into a store during a pandemic. Apple made it sound like this was such a durable band. If I had know it was prove to failure and would not be covered under warranty I would have chosen a different band when I bought my watch. Basically what this policy is saying is that the expected life of a Solo Loop band is counted in months and not years.

I am so very disappointed in Apple right now.

Jun 23, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Pantddu

Just been into Apple Store Braehead where I was advised that the tear was damage, and that solo bands are subject to rigorous testing and will not fail in this manner - therefore in the manager’s view it must be damage. The manager was not prepared to return the band to Apple for assessment since it is his decision. The band is 8 months old, bought with a Series 6 Watch. There seems to be little recognition of consumer rights, particularly the refusal to refer the matter to Apple for evaluation.

Extremely disappointing - I will not let the matter rest there and will pursue the issue using all the avenues open to me.

Jul 17, 2021 8:02 AM in response to CMB2112

My solo loop broke after 6 months of use. I got lucky and noticed it was tearing when I put it on one morning. This could have broken when I was active- I kite surf, ski, mountain bike and am very involved with sports. Just got lucky the watch did not fall off during outdoor activity. The Apple solo loop silicone is not compatible with an active lifestyle, you risk losing your watch when (not if) the silicone fails. For $50, this level of performance is unacceptable.

Aug 20, 2021 3:45 AM in response to CMB2112

I have the same problem .

My loop got a hole where the band connect to the watch and the answer from the senior advisor was that it’s not covered by Apple one year warranty as it is damage from wearing ?

When I did asked what exactly is covering this one year warranty on this specific band, the answer was :discoloration?

The “repair” I got offered from the senior advisor was brand new band for the price of 49 pounds ?

This warranty for this specific band it is a joke .

It doesn’t exist

For such an expensive band the quality should be better and has to hold for an year.

What a shame .

Sep 24, 2021 7:43 AM in response to CMB2112

Apple is also denying my claim for a band that broke after 4 months, saying it doesn't look like a manufacturing defect. A strong caution to anyone considering the solo loop – this product absolutely doesn't last and they will not stand behind it!!!

I'm posting for a second time because they removed my initial post, and said I should instead contact a support team.

Don't buy the solo loop – it doesn't last!!!!

May 19, 2021 9:05 AM in response to CMB2112

I contacted support online via a call-back (Went to getsupport.apple.com, logged in, selected my watch, selected "Band and Accessories", Selected Talk with Apple Now). They called meback, I explained the situation. They sent me a link to upload photos. They looked at the splitting band, approved replacement, and made me pay ~$50 for a "hold". They told me once the band arrived, ship back the broekn one inthe provided packaging and as long as it was returned in 10 days that I would not be charged the $50. Satisfied customer.

Jun 19, 2021 11:54 AM in response to bob950

Exact same issue & initial customer service experience - but with different outcome to date. Had to upload photo of the split band (4 months old solo loop) and after a lot of questions was told it is not covered under warranty (but he agreed this is not "normal wear and tear" or accidental damage. Mine split straight across the middle, having started with a tiny hairline crack on one edge - he said if it had split at the lug, "Apple is aware of the problem and it would be covered". It's clearly a manufacturing issue with this type of stretchy silicone one piece band. Problem is that if it starts to split, it's only a matter of time before it suddenly splits apart as you stretch it when putting on/taking off. Luckily I caught my watch before it fell..... Now I am waiting to hear how the "appeals court" responds. This is a $79 band made by a $2.2 Trillion company. The 45 minute customer service call cost already Apple more!

Aug 18, 2021 6:13 AM in response to CMB2112

I noticed a small tear on my solo loop 4 months after buying it (with my SE). I spent an entire afternoon on the telephone with Apple, being bumped from one associate to another--each supposedly with more authority--only to be told that this kind of failure wasn't covered. Now, a month later, the loop failed completely when I was removing it last night. I'm not pleased. This is obviously a problem with these things, and Apple should be providing better service than they are.

Aug 20, 2021 4:04 AM in response to aseniya

Update on my broken loop situation. I started down the rabbit hole of irritatingly cheerful associates the day after my loop broke, but made it clear right away that was was NOT pleased, and didn’t want to go through an endless series of explanations with different people. I included the background story, and photos showing the first tear, which was denied compensation, and the broken loop. I was quite quickly connected to an actual person, who listened, commented, reviewed all the documentation of my previous communications, and finally, after being put on hold for a little while, agreed to “make an exception” in my case. My new loop should arrive today.

So my advice is to not take no for an answer. It’s a shame though. They charge a premium for their products and they should stand behind them, no questions asked. And in this case I do believe it’s a design problem.

We’ll see how long the new loop lasts.

Aug 20, 2021 4:22 AM in response to Zephyr14

I did spoke with 3 different people and today with senior advisor which basically told me that the warranty is not covering this.

She is sending me “in store “ as last “step”, but to be honest i don’t have nerves to be in a queue and explaining over and over again and spend time only to hear the same -that they don’t cover it

Aug 20, 2021 8:17 AM in response to aseniya

You’re right. Going to the store is a complete waste of time. I did that. They have no decision making authority, will just tell you the same thing after waiting in line: “buy a new one, full price.” And they won’t even have it in stock for you there. You would have to order, pay, and come BACK to the store to wait in line again and pick it up. So much for Apple service and reliability. Definitely needs to improve.

Aug 20, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Zephyr14

Good for you!! I did the same thing and was led to believe I’d get a no-charge replacement, was told to go to the nearest store to pick it up…got a completely different story there: not covered under warranty. So complete inconsistency re policy, mainly “no deal, not covered, buy a new one,” which will likely split and break just like the original until they improve the product, test it, and get a new manufacturer.

Aug 20, 2021 8:32 AM in response to aseniya

Again, in the Apple policy inconsistency category, I was told that a break at the connection point to the watch was the ONE thing that WAS covered under warranty! Yes, the product is very poor quality sold at a high price under the Apple label, and Apple’s lack of ownership of this huge flaw unacceptable. What would Steve Jobs say?

My Apple Watch Solo Loop band broke

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.