Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID issues after iOS 14.4 update?

Face ID no longer works after I’ve updated my phone to iOS 14.4. With my watch on, without it, eyes open, lights on or off. Anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 9:44 AM

not helpful. It was working fine until the automatic update to 14.4. Now its not working. tried to set up new face ID and the screen keeps telling me to move lower, move higher. and never works. Ive shut off the phone, tried all the tricks.

Need help or to go back to 14.3

52 replies

Apr 3, 2021 2:59 AM in response to AEP3505

Hello everyone, I’ve done the ios 14.4.2 update 2 days ago, and since yesterday, face ID doesn’t work. I’ve also noticed that portrait mode doesn’t work on both sides as well. I tried to reset my settings, reboot my iphone... NOTHING. If someone could solve this problem...(nb: I have an iPhone 11, which I bought approximately 1 year ago)

Mar 26, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Aryan_m

My Xs max was in perfect shape- no scratches and have never replaced the screen or anything. The Face ID stopped working, and made it much more difficult to use. I thought I would upgrade, since Apple was offing $340 as a trade in and T-Mobile was going to put another $100 on top. So I did, and sent the phone in with their return kit. Then I get a message from Apple that they are only going to offer $85 for the trade in because the Face ID doesn’t work! F*** that! The only reason that I can see it not working is fatigue of some component or a a firmware issue. This phone was in mint condition so there is no was external damage did it.

Apr 1, 2021 4:40 AM in response to AEP3505

I've also been experiencing Face ID errors on my iPhone 11 Pro since March 10. Unfortunately, exactly the day my 1 year warranty expired. Partly it worked while you just entered the code. If I think about it a little more carefully, I have also noticed cases before where my face was not recognized at the first attempt. But I thought it was due to the light situation, because it worked on the second try. I suspect that the first problems occurred with 14.4.

After the unsuccessful reset of Face ID in the settings, I tried to set up the iPhone as a new device on the advice of Apple support. However, right after setting up Face ID for the first time, this error occurred again when the iPhone locked up during the setup process. This is basically proof to me that the reason must be iOS itself.

I then restored my backup from before the reset but after that Face ID didn't work at all, although it did work sporadically before. Now even the bokeh in portrait mode no longer worked. I then reset Face ID again, restarted the iPhone and was able to set up Face ID again.

It then actually worked for exactly 9 days (almost to the hour) without a single failed attempt. I thought the problem was fixed until it suddenly reappeared this Tuesday.

All quite strange and for me only explainable with bugs in iOS 14.4. Too bad there is no official way to downgrade.

I contacted my retailer today and he too told me about an unusual number of cases with Face ID not working. Most of the time it could be solved by a complete reset. But some devices were also sent to Apple.

Face ID issues after iOS 14.4 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.