Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CVM Server Crash every day

Hi There,

Every morning when I open my MacBook lid, it crashes, and I have to restart the computer. The process that causes the issue is CVMServer. I saw on other forums that others experience the same issue.

I have downloaded EtreCheck, but it gave no definitive answer to this problem. I have attached the crash report below.

Does anyone know what might cause the issue?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Adam

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 7:37 AM

AdamDavid07 wrote:

Hi There,

Every morning when I open my MacBook lid, it crashes, and I have to restart the computer. The process that causes the issue is CVMServer. I saw on other forums that others experience the same issue.
I have downloaded EtreCheck, but it gave no definitive answer to this problem. I have attached the crash report below.

Adam

Verify your software is up to date:

sw_vers

ProductName: macOS

ProductVersion: 11.2.3

BuildVersion: 20D91

CVMServer -- Mac OS X Core Virtual Machine Server— is a system daemon that handles generic task execution in a slave process.

There are no configuration options to CVMServer, the daemon first appeared in MacOS X 10.6

you can submit your macOS bug report here, Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 7:37 AM in response to AdamDavid07

AdamDavid07 wrote:

Hi There,

Adam

Verify your software is up to date:

sw_vers

ProductName: macOS

ProductVersion: 11.2.3

BuildVersion: 20D91

CVMServer -- Mac OS X Core Virtual Machine Server— is a system daemon that handles generic task execution in a slave process.

There are no configuration options to CVMServer, the daemon first appeared in MacOS X 10.6

you can submit your macOS bug report here, Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 17, 2021 4:36 PM in response to greggmorris

Well, I have to walk this back. CVMServer crashed today after coming out of Preview having opened a .png file. Here's the Mac Analytics Data from the Console:

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.graphics.clients

com.apple.message.__source__: SPI

com.apple.message.architecture: 64

com.apple.message.context_type: Metal

com.apple.message.signature2: 1018.2

com.apple.message.signature3: Metal

com.apple.message.signature1: com.apple.Preview

com.apple.message.intermediate_frameworks: IOGPU,AGXMetal13_3,AppleMetalOpenGLRenderer,GLEngine,OpenGL,QuartzCore,AppKit,CoreFoundation,HIToolbox,Direct

com.apple.message.summarize: YES

SenderMachUUID: 0A8C3464-83D9-3F20-A92C-E09B34B96326

That occurred at 12:08.40. Right after, at 12:08:41 this occurred:

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.assumes.failure

com.apple.message.signature: BD0DFD42-0DC3-3F3D-9C04-5A2B3D93794D:98580

com.apple.message.signature2: 0x89

com.apple.message.signature3: libxpc.dylib

SenderMachUUID: 5A9E7CA3-2403-3C37-9CD4-B86DA8D426D2

Then this at 12:44

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash

com.apple.message.signature: CVMServer

com.apple.message.signature2: UNBUNDLED ||| ??? (177.22)

com.apple.message.signature3: UNKNOWN

com.apple.message.result: NO

SenderMachUUID: BD62D5D9-F283-3385-8CD1-4070ECDEDDC4

It would seem to me that the bug is related to graphics/png's as I believe that the screensaver is using png's as well.

Mar 18, 2021 7:41 PM in response to AdamDavid07

Also getting the same... / similar situation...

I'm also getting this too. I updated my new M1 Mac Mini with latest 11.2.3.

Other updates were to Apple software - pages, keynote, etc...

I contacted Apple Support, they wanted me to run physical hardware diagnostics... Which I wasn't prepared to do...

New installed apps presently are;

Google Chrome - 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (arm64)

Brother iPrint&Scan 8.1.0 (2017) (old version)

TeamViewer latest version

NTFS for Mac - Paragon software - latest arm64 version

Spotify

Computer is doing very BASIC stuff... Internet, browsing, printing, scanning...

Had disabled the screensaver to see if this would help...

Code:

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
    2021-03-19 12:13:01 CVMServer - Crash (13 times)
        Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMServer
        Details:
            dyld3 mode

2021-03-19 08:42:11 installd - High CPU Use (2 times)
        Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/installd

2021-03-18 16:28:31 signpost_reporter - High CPU Use
        Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter

2021-03-18 13:40:24 Spotify.app - Crash
        Executable: /Applications/Spotify.app

2021-03-18 09:09:54 BRAutoSetup - Crash
        Executable: /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/BRAutoSetup.bundle/Contents/MacOS/BRAutoSetup
        Details:
            *** CFRelease() called with NULL ***

Apr 4, 2021 10:55 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi There,

I always have the latest macOS installed and also turned off the screen saver. That's what everyone is recommending on the forums, but it didn't fix the issue. The other day, I had 2 crashes in one hour, I haven't even closed the lid just left my Mac on my desk. I have also sent all my crash reports to Apple so they may aware of the situation but it seems it may be a wider issue.

Apr 4, 2021 1:59 PM in response to leroydouglas

Have noticed the same CVMServer Issue on Brand New MBA M1 from about day two March 18, 2012. and even after the Big Sur 11.2.3 Update. Interesting in that the PID on each crash is different than each other. Though in my case, Screen Saver is not activated nor waking from Sleep. Further, the Computer in not ill affected nor perform any differently. It is as if it is a Silent crash that is only captured in Console.

Will follow @ leroydouglas advise and submit to Apple Feedback and / or Open a Ticket with Apple Support

Apr 16, 2021 3:11 AM in response to ansolas

The thing is it’s obvious that applications are triggering the crash but in my case it’s not applications i guess. When I couldn’t figure it out why it crashes I decided to reinstall the OS. After the installation complete(around 5 min later) I’ve seen the same error in console logs. No additional applications was installed.

Apr 19, 2021 1:35 PM in response to Patoglu

CVMServer -- Mac OS X Core Virtual Machine Server 
and as @LeroyDouglas mentioned - there is nothing we can do about this.

Now, started an Apple On-Line Support Ticket. The second the front-line support saw the CVMServer issue - immediately wanted to transfer to Phone call with Software Engineer. Have not yet had that call but will restart this after a day or so.

Apr 21, 2021 1:45 PM in response to AdamDavid07

Just off the phone with Apple Support Senior Advisor - Bottom-line - unless the Crash of CSMServers, caught is Console, manifest a loss of Functionality Or Popup Error message - forget the Console Crash Reports.

No reinstall and nothing more to be done. I will monitor my unit very closely and should any of the above start to happen - off the machine goes for an Evaluation.

CVM Server Crash every day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.