Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro not updating

I can't update to Big Sur from the App Store or from the System Preferences->Software update.

I have tried more than 15 times in the past 2 weeks. I downloads upto 5M/12.xG and then fails.

I was able to update to Catalina 10.15.7 from https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

I have more than 190G available. My wifi is fine since I'm able to play videos, movies and download stuff on my MacBook Pro.

I also can't update any of my iPhones: iPhoneSE2 iPhone6s to iOS14. I have enough space on the devices.

I have Xfinity 100 to 150Mb/s downloads speeds.

How do I debug this ?

a) I can try a Ethernet cable to MacBook.

b) What else ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 1:46 PM

Before attempting make a Time Machine Backup and if possible two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drive - Insurance incase things go sideways

Suggestion as one has already mentions - Ethernet connection. Another suggestion - reboot computer into Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup. Does a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. It will look and feel different - also normal. Open The Apple Apps Store and download Big Sur. It will pause several times during the download process and even appear to freeze - not so. It countdown clock may same 15 minutes but in Real Time expect 30 - 40 minutes - normal. It may even say 5 minutes and expect longer in Real Time. Just be patient and try not to use the computer or allow the Screen Save at activate. The last leg will also pause with Preparing Software - pause and finally finish and automatically commence the Installation. Follow prompts and instructions and hopefully it finishes after several restarts to Setup Assist.

Important: If one has any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners , Optimizers, VPNs installed - uninstall Before attempting - they interfere with the normal operation of the computer - cause havoc and can corrupt the OS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2021 1:46 PM in response to shouvikmukherjee

Before attempting make a Time Machine Backup and if possible two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drive - Insurance incase things go sideways

Suggestion as one has already mentions - Ethernet connection. Another suggestion - reboot computer into Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup. Does a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. It will look and feel different - also normal. Open The Apple Apps Store and download Big Sur. It will pause several times during the download process and even appear to freeze - not so. It countdown clock may same 15 minutes but in Real Time expect 30 - 40 minutes - normal. It may even say 5 minutes and expect longer in Real Time. Just be patient and try not to use the computer or allow the Screen Save at activate. The last leg will also pause with Preparing Software - pause and finally finish and automatically commence the Installation. Follow prompts and instructions and hopefully it finishes after several restarts to Setup Assist.

Important: If one has any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners , Optimizers, VPNs installed - uninstall Before attempting - they interfere with the normal operation of the computer - cause havoc and can corrupt the OS.

MacBook pro not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.