Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my older mac as a dual monitor?

I just bought a 2021 iM MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles so I can teach online without a hitch. Prior to this new computer I used a 2014 MacBook Air and used an HDMI cable to use a tv as a second monitor. I don't need such a large device in my room, can I use my old mac as the dual monitor and get rid of tv?

If so, how? What cables (if any) do I need? Any programs, apps or extensions that will work?

I love having the extra monitor to keep an eye on kiddos working online while I teach using the new mac.

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 8:47 AM

7 replies

Feb 15, 2021 10:20 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you, it looks like it works with ipad and laptop, I use my ipad for something else during instruction. I will probably stick with the TV monitor. I actually just need a smaller one (mine was unused at home and is pretty large and blocks my view of 1/2 classroom. I thought sure there was a way to make two macs sync easily to monitor on one and work on the other. Oh well...

Can I use my older mac as a dual monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.