Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad issues in BigSur 11.2.1

Hello,

I'm new to Macs and I'm an owner of a brand new M1 MacBook Air.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing some weird trackpad behavior after updating to Big Sur 11.2.

The problem occurs almost always after pressing, hold-pressing the trackpad or using Force Touch. The cursor freezes for a couple of seconds, teleports around, ghost presses or the whole computer freezes for some time. Also the trackpads haptic feedback stops working and it can't be pressed again. Rarely the issue occurs on its own. Just taping the trackpad doesn't seem to cause anything like that.

Does anybody experience something like that? Is it a known software issue or a hardware one? Are there any solutions for this since it renders my laptop almost unusable?

I've tried reinstalling OS, clean installing OS, clearing SMC, updating to 11.2.1 and nothing has helped. I can't revert to 11.1 since I didn't get a chance to create backup before autoupdate.

Thanks for help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 8:09 AM

To anyone with similar issue. I was unable to find any working solution to this problem and decided to bring my laptop to Apple Store. They have replaced the trackpad under warranty and since then the issue is gone. I didn't get any explanation from them but everything points to a hardware malfunction.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Zolardo

To anyone with similar issue. I was unable to find any working solution to this problem and decided to bring my laptop to Apple Store. They have replaced the trackpad under warranty and since then the issue is gone. I didn't get any explanation from them but everything points to a hardware malfunction.

Trackpad issues in BigSur 11.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.