Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages creating a template

I am using pages to create a template - I have placed some images at the top and bottom of the page. I don't want to have a text box, just a standard area for people to type (like you have on a blank template).

Also page two onwards needs to have a slightly different top section, so the text can start higher up on these pages. Is there a way to make it so you just keep typing at the bottom of the page and it will automatically go to a new page with this same second page template?

I have my system all up to date. Doing this on an iMac.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 1:37 AM

Hi Anthony,

Following on from Barry's suggestions, I deleted the Section Break. The document is now a single Section.

The large logos at the top of Page 1 are in the body (not the page header). They will push the text down.

Select them and Format Panel > Arrange > Object Placement > Stay on Page

Set the Text Wrap to Above and Below.

Drag them up to hide the page header.

The small logo in the page header will appear in the header on every page. However, we have cunningly hidden it behind the large logos on page 1. No need for "first page is different" (or, as it is now known in Pages, Document > Section > Headers and Footers > "Hide on first page of section".

The graphics at the bottom of Page 1 are also in the body (not the page footer).

Again, Format Panel > Arrange > Object Placement > Stay on Page

Now when you insert more text on page 1, those graphics will stay on page 1 and the text will flow past them on to page 2.

Thanks, Barry for your insight!

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 1:37 AM in response to anthonyfrommaroubra

Hi Anthony,

Following on from Barry's suggestions, I deleted the Section Break. The document is now a single Section.

The large logos at the top of Page 1 are in the body (not the page header). They will push the text down.

Select them and Format Panel > Arrange > Object Placement > Stay on Page

Drag them up to hide the page header.

The small logo in the page header will appear in the header on every page. However, we have cunningly hidden it behind the large logos on page 1. No need for "first page is different" (or, as it is now known in Pages, Document > Section > Headers and Footers > "Hide on first page of section".

The graphics at the bottom of Page 1 are also in the body (not the page footer).

Again, Format Panel > Arrange > Object Placement > Stay on Page

Now when you insert more text on page 1, those graphics will stay on page 1 and the text will flow past them on to page 2.

Thanks, Barry for your insight!

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 16, 2021 11:09 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian

Thanks - but that is not what I meant.

I am trying to create a template for a letterhead. I have a couple of bigger logos to sit on the top of the first page, and then some text and a graphic to sit at the bottom. I can manage this - no issue.

I have also set up a second page design with a smaller logo up the top.

The issues are:

1. How do you make it so the text on both pages is not sitting in a text box and just sitting on the page. I can't see any option to do this? I either end up with the box when you use the template (meaning when you reach the bottom of the page the text box keeps going with the plus sign showing) or there is no place to just start typing text (like on the standard basic base template - just type no text box showing).
  2. When you are at the end of typing page 2, how do you make it auto bring up the same page 2 template so you keep typing?

thanks

The

Feb 17, 2021 11:45 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian

Thanks for this. So now the only issue I have left is, I have page 1, then added a new section (page 2) - made sure the match previous section is unticked... but when I go to use the template, when I get to the bottom of page 1 and keep typing it inserts a copy of the page 1 template instead of moving to the page 2 template automatically.

1. How can I resolve the above?
  2. When you open the template will it always show page 1 and 2 (therefore if you have a shorter letter, you have to delete page 2) or can you have it so page 2 only appears in the desired format when you have text that requires more than one page?

Feb 16, 2021 8:54 PM in response to anthonyfrommaroubra

Hi Anthony,

A Word Processing document.

Place the small image(s) in the page header.

On Page 1, place the large image(s) at the top of the body text.

Arrange > Object Placement > Move with text

Arrange > Text Wrap >Above and Below

This will push the text down on Page 1.

Move the large image(s) to cover and hide the header on Page 1.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 17, 2021 12:13 AM in response to anthonyfrommaroubra

Hi Anthony,

Something like this?

Word Processing document. All text in the document body.

Use the page headers and footers for the graphics.

Insert a Section Break after the text that you want on Page 1. Then you can have different headers and footers in Section 2.

Click in Section 2 and make sure that Match previous section is unticked. Then you can place the smaller logo in the header of Page 2 and it will repeat on every page of that Section.

If you want page numbers, Start at: 2 in Section 2.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 18, 2021 12:08 AM in response to anthonyfrommaroubra

Hi Anthony,

Text beyond the capacity of the first page will cause Pages to add a new page in the same section.

You can get to the second section only by stopping when page 1 is full, clicking on page 2 (first page of the next section) and continuing typing from there. Text will flow from page 2 to page 3 without requiring user intervention as pages 2 and 3 are in the same section.

I have an idea or two about using a single section, a large image containing the large logos for page 1 placed on the page, and a smaller image carrying the second page logos placed in the same position in the section master for display on succeeding pages.

Another possibility would involve the "first page is different" setting in the section inspector.

But it's getting late here, and time to close up shop. Ian should be along shortly, and is welcom to take these ideas and run with them. I'll look in again tomorrow.

Regards,

Barry

Pages creating a template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.