Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Not Disturb App Exceptions

I would love to see Apple implement an option to have user selected Apps override the Do Not Disturb feature. There are several alerts that most users would like to receive at any time while still blocking calls, texts and most other App alerts. As with most people there are several things that need to be monitored always. These include but are not limited to: camera zone alerts, stock movement alerts and emergency weather alerts. I feel this is an important and highly useful feature and am quite surprised it is not available. If you would also like to see this option, please voice it here with the hopes of getting this feature implemented in a near future update.

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 6:35 PM

Yes, please! I want to disable all alerts excepts those from my daughter’s Dexcom CGM (Dexcom follow app).

Overnight lows for type 1 diabetics are a big worry. Usually I enable Do Not Disturb on my phone and my wife disables it so we get 1/2 the garbage overnight but she still gets CGM alerts. Almost lost my daughter last night due to too much insulin. Wife left her phone on silent accidentally. My daughter can usually feel when her blood glucose is low when awake, but asleep is a different story. So lucky I caught this without any alerts (I happened to have a hard time sleeping last night).

We’ll have to do something differently to mitigate this, but if you had this feature, I’d be using it already.

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 6:35 PM in response to Ratedr-1

Yes, please! I want to disable all alerts excepts those from my daughter’s Dexcom CGM (Dexcom follow app).

Overnight lows for type 1 diabetics are a big worry. Usually I enable Do Not Disturb on my phone and my wife disables it so we get 1/2 the garbage overnight but she still gets CGM alerts. Almost lost my daughter last night due to too much insulin. Wife left her phone on silent accidentally. My daughter can usually feel when her blood glucose is low when awake, but asleep is a different story. So lucky I caught this without any alerts (I happened to have a hard time sleeping last night).

We’ll have to do something differently to mitigate this, but if you had this feature, I’d be using it already.

Feb 19, 2021 9:45 AM in response to Ratedr-1

Ratedr-1,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, you would like to set it up so certain app notifications alerts you even when Do Not Disturb is enabled, do we have that right? Currently, it is not possible for app notifications to bypass Do Not Disturb. You can only set up certain contacts to bypass it.

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

You can always submit feedback for things you would like to see directly to Apple here: Product Feedback.

Hope that helps!

May 9, 2021 5:11 PM in response to Quadgnim

Quadgnim wrote:

100% yes, my wife has a dex, and when in DND, she gets no audio just vibrate, and I too need an override on my phone. As a medical device you must be able to prioritize the app!!

The only people reading your post are other users. You should contact the app developer about this. You can also submit feedback to Apple here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 4, 2021 4:48 AM in response to btrfly9

btrfly9 wrote:
Please make this change.

As indicated above, Apple does not participate here, so saying this won't help. The only way to get Apple's attention about this is to use their feedback link, Feedback - iPhone - Apple

It may also be a good idea to provide feedback to the app developers for these medical apps to encourage Apple to find a way to allow this. Along with users, this may carry more weight.

Jul 12, 2021 8:52 AM in response to leena249

leena249 wrote:

I would hope that apple has some sort of alert system that lets them know when one of these discussions gets a certain amount of comments/notifications but in case they don’t, please also submit feedback to them here:

They do not.

Directing people to the feedback page is excellent advice.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

The more tickets they get regarding this, the more likely they are to include the feature.

Jul 26, 2021 6:01 AM in response to davidfrommaida vale

davidfrommaida vale wrote:

Add me to supporters for this feature. I travel/work internationally for business so have do not disturb on as people ring and email at all hours from different timezones, but this disables my home security monitoring alerts which is frustrating as it defeats the purpose of having it.

As has been noted, Apple doesn't read here for suggestions. "Adding" yourself to the list of supporters here accompishes nothing.

You can let Apple know this is important to you here:

Product Feedback - Apple

You should also contact the developer of your home security app and ask them to add in the override, a feature that is currently available to them.

Feb 20, 2021 4:09 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi Less! Thanks for your reply:) You are correct. Let me put it in a scenario. Let’s say my camera system that is hooked up at my business receives alerts through an app if the camera picks up movement in a certain zone, If someone was attempting to break into my property or vandalize equipment on the outside of the property, If my phone was on DND I would not receive the notification. The same can be said for my home cameras if someone was breaking into my vehicle I would have no alert and would have to rely on the video and the authorities to catch this person(s). Another case would be trading. If I trade on exchanges from a country that is in a different time zone I would not receive important alerts and be able to act in a timely manner. The same if I’m in another country and I’m trading in an American market during what would be my sleep hours there. Hope I was clear. Thanks again!

Mar 11, 2021 1:34 AM in response to raina_b22

This would be such an easy feature to add in the DND settings, “App Exceptions:” viola. Please, it would make every firefighters life in America, and the world easier and more healthy (assuming most use the iPhone for emergency notifications like my department), and we would sleep more soundly. I added my suggestion to the iPhone/iOS suggestions for improvement. I encourage everyone else to do the same, even if it’s copy/pasting this rant, or the guys above me.

May 10, 2021 4:01 AM in response to Ratedr-1

Yes please! Woke up this morning to an alert from the middle of the night that our garage door popped open. Would have been nice to let my security system alert bypass so that I could have woken up and closed it, instead of opening my house up to intruders for four hours... same thing for camera alerts, if there is motion on my outdoor cameras I want to wake up and know about it.

Do Not Disturb App Exceptions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.