Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I am scanning lots of old photos and have them in albums labeled by year and event (ex: 1977CBM_Baptism) I did this so they would be arranged in chronological order, but Photos will rearrange the albums without warning. Actually it just did it on the screen behind me as I'm typing! What do I do to keep my albums in the order I choose?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 4:58 PM

If you put a space between the year and the description they will sort and search better. Running titles together without spaces or dashes makes it difficult to use the search field in the upper right hand corner of the window to search for a work or phrase. Do to that efficiently you need to use Smart Albums.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 4:58 PM in response to cmmilner

If you put a space between the year and the description they will sort and search better. Running titles together without spaces or dashes makes it difficult to use the search field in the upper right hand corner of the window to search for a work or phrase. Do to that efficiently you need to use Smart Albums.

Feb 19, 2021 3:35 PM in response to cmmilner

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down. open your library and set the album sorting.  Reboot normally, open the library and check the sorting.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 19, 2021 4:48 PM in response to cmmilner

This is so frustrating to have everything move WHILE I'm working!! I thought maybe it had something to do with the dates on images in each album and that it was moving those albums because they had todays date on them, but when I checked both albums that moved this time had dates that correspond with the year on the albums name.

Feb 19, 2021 3:49 PM in response to Old Toad

Before I try the Safe Mode option, let me ask this. I've looked around and don't see a way to reverse order if choosing sort by name. That would solve my problem. I didn't always add the albums in chronological order so the newest/oldest options don't solve my problem. If I could sort by name (1965-1988) and then reverse the sort (1988-1965) it would solve my current issue.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.