Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting or glitch? New audio tracks default to "no output"

I have searched the internet but not found an answer to this.

I am using Logic 10.5.1 on a Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. When I add a new audio track to a project it defaults to "no output" and I have to manually change its setting to "stereo output". This happens whether I am recording audio, adding a new audio track, or dragging audio loops to create a new audio track. It doesn't happen when I make new drummer or midi tracks. For ease of reference I've included a screenshot of a new project with a newly added audio track.

I have searched preferences with advanced tools on and can find no setting for what output new tracks default to.

Can anyone help? It must be a glitch, right? Obviously I can change it to stereo output each time but it is incredibly frustrating to be doing projects with multiple audio tracks and loops and have to go in and change the setting every time.

Thanks everyone :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 1:08 PM

Wait, I fixed it! A simple fix that makes me feel silly, but I'll lay it out here in case other people are having this issue and haven't found it.

When I went to add a new audio track manually, it had options for output then that I hadn't noticed before because I mostly don't add audio tracks manually. The default option in this window was "no output". I changed that to "Output 1+2", and the track was created with stereo output. That seems to have shifted the default output option for all the ways you can add audio tracks (loop dragging etc). I tried all the other ways of adding new audio tracks and their outputs are now stereo as well.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 1:08 PM in response to ladywingnut

Wait, I fixed it! A simple fix that makes me feel silly, but I'll lay it out here in case other people are having this issue and haven't found it.

When I went to add a new audio track manually, it had options for output then that I hadn't noticed before because I mostly don't add audio tracks manually. The default option in this window was "no output". I changed that to "Output 1+2", and the track was created with stereo output. That seems to have shifted the default output option for all the ways you can add audio tracks (loop dragging etc). I tried all the other ways of adding new audio tracks and their outputs are now stereo as well.

Troubleshooting or glitch? New audio tracks default to "no output"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.