You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD completely disappeared from disk utility.

I tried to wipe my MacBook Air and then reinstall MacOS Big Sur.

However when I went to reinstall MacOS the Macintosh HD had completely disappeared as an installation disk option.

I then went in to ‘disk utility’ and clicked on the sidebar drop down menu and clicked ‘show all devices’

i then found that the Macintosh HD had also disappeared from the internal storage device’s area.

When I click on “container disk3” it says there are no volumes inside.

Im sure there is no actual damage to the hard drive, I think it’s just not able to be read properly.

Don’t need to recover any data, just want to be able to install MacOS Big Sur and use the MacBook

any suggestions? :/

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 2:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 7:24 PM

Hi _Isabel_B_,

Thanks for the detailed description and screenshots.

I think you might have accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD volume group from the container. Unlike an erase, deleting volumes actually gets rid of them, instead of simply erasing them.

To fix this issue, select the Container in the sidebar, then click the (+) button. Enter these details, then click Add:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: APFS

When finished, quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2021 7:24 PM in response to _Isabel_B_

Hi _Isabel_B_,

Thanks for the detailed description and screenshots.

I think you might have accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD volume group from the container. Unlike an erase, deleting volumes actually gets rid of them, instead of simply erasing them.

To fix this issue, select the Container in the sidebar, then click the (+) button. Enter these details, then click Add:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: APFS

When finished, quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

Macintosh HD completely disappeared from disk utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.