Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"ActivityInputd" will damage your computer

Woke up this morning with this pop up on my screen. Can anyone help. It will not allow me to connect to the internet .

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 5:55 AM

Since you are now connected to the Internet, give Etrecheck a try.

One of the contributors here created it to dump system information to be posted here so we can get an idea of what is installed and might be causing problems. It can also be used to remove adware.

While there is a paid version, those two features are free to use without buying the “Pro” version.

The adware may have multiple launch mechanisms that “heal” each other.

Did you install something recently? If you downloaded software from a website other than the developer of the software, that website bundled adware into the download. Never install software from anyplace other than the App Store or the developer’s website.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 5:55 AM in response to h3lpm3pls

Since you are now connected to the Internet, give Etrecheck a try.

One of the contributors here created it to dump system information to be posted here so we can get an idea of what is installed and might be causing problems. It can also be used to remove adware.

While there is a paid version, those two features are free to use without buying the “Pro” version.

The adware may have multiple launch mechanisms that “heal” each other.

Did you install something recently? If you downloaded software from a website other than the developer of the software, that website bundled adware into the download. Never install software from anyplace other than the App Store or the developer’s website.

Feb 23, 2021 6:44 PM in response to annniedef

You may  have adware/malware installed. Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later.       

Web site for download   https://www.malwarebytes.com

Malwarebytes uninstall.   

Feb 26, 2021 2:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons for a plist file that is out of place. It may actually have ActivityInputd in the name.
If there is, move it to the Trash.

For this particular type of malware, there are three files that need to be removed. If the file name is "ActivityInputd", then look for the following files:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ActivityInputd.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ActivityInputd.system.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ActivityInputd.service.plist

All 3 must be removed. Then restart the computer.

Note that that last file is relative to the user's home directory.

Feb 23, 2021 4:57 AM in response to narges65

Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons for a plist file that is out of place. It may actually have ActivityInputd in the name.

If there is, move it to the Trash.

Open Network System Preferences, select the service you use to connect to the Internet, and click the Advanced button.

Click on the Proxies tab and uncheck any of the proxies listed in the “proxies to configure” list.

Restart.

Mar 3, 2021 6:04 AM in response to ebeohp827

Contact apple support they were so helpful. Malwarebytes.app will remove it. Also what I did was clean the caches from all possible hiding spots, clean cookies, empty trash, clean browser histories, and a really good clean of the computer generally moving some files and after much searching I finally found 3 activityinputd files and removed them however, I spent a great deal of time on this and apple support provide free clear advice. Malwarebytes.app is available for free for 14 days but I ended up buying it as I don't want the hassle again.

"ActivityInputd" will damage your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.