Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac will not; Boot, nor start Disk Utility or Recovery mode

Hi

I have a 2013 27" with 32GB ram and wanted to do a factory reset and went into the disk utility and deleted the Macintosh HD, it's a hybrid disk with a combined 1,2GB, and something went wrong and it wanted to restart.

When restating there is no chime like normal and the apple logo is only there for a second, then it comes to a screen saying 'your computer restarted because of a problem press a key or wait a few seconds' and then it restarts again and keep looping like this.

I have tried to enter disk utility mode and recovery mode etc. but nothing happens. I have tried Command+R, shift, option etc etc etc - nothing.

I have a USB with a Catalina install on it connected, but as it will not enter disk utility I can not select it.

What can I do? How can I get access to either disk and get the new install on the way?

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 10:12 AM

So when you power off your Mac, and power it back on while holding CMD-R, you do not get a utilities screen?

If you have a wireless keyboard, try connecting a cable to it to your Mac, and try the above step. Sometimes, a wired-keyboard works better than a wireless when getting to the boot screen.

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 23, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Bruce Michel

Yes, tried all of those, nothing. The only difference I get trying some of the different things is a grey mac prohibited sign will come on a white screen and then the computer will try to restart again and quickly come to the 'your computer restarted because of a problem press a key or wait a few seconds' screen again.

And still no startup sound at any point.

I've tried Internet Recovery, option+command+R, not working. It just keeps going in the same loop.

Feb 23, 2021 10:43 AM in response to TDV8

Yes, any USB keyboard will work. The Command key on an Apple keyboard is the same as the Ctrl. key on a Windows keyboard.

On an Apple keyboard you continue to hold down Command + R until the computer starts in the Recovery Partition. The error a lots of users make is to type the keys and release them before the computer has time to "get" the command.

Feb 23, 2021 12:59 PM in response to TDV8

I'm happy to hear you got that resolved. When I'm doing a MacOS install, I always plug the lightning cable in to my keyboard before I do it to eliminate any drama that might occur when the OS gets wiped out. It's a quirk at times that the keyboard loses its connection during these moments. I also plug in a wired, USB mouse. Once the installation is going and I know that my wireless mouse is working, then I remove the USB mouse.

Many people don't realize that plugging the lightning cable into your keyboard not only makes it become a standard wired keyboard, it's also a great way to re-pair the keyboard (or mouse/trackpad) to one's Mac instantly.

Bluetooth is great... when it works. Can't beat a hardwire.

Imac will not; Boot, nor start Disk Utility or Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.