Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting events, or files, or something from iMovie library

I've been trying to delete iMovie projects that I am no longer using. I followed this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8047382

but it has not helped. I click on All Events, and there appear to be only two events (ones I actually want to keep). Nothing else is there. But yet, my disk is full because there are tons of projects -- that have nothing to do with these events -- that won't delete!!

I cannot find a folder called "Original Media". When I finally click on ONE clip from ONE project and say "Reveal in Finder", then "Original Media" pops up, but only that clip is in there. I don't want to have to delete hundreds of clips like that one at a time!

I cannot save anything on my computer at all now because all these files I don't need and don't want are stuck on my computer and I don't know where they are and I don't know what I can do to delete them.

This has been incredibly frustrating. Apple: seriously, make projects easier to delete! I may have to stop using iMovie because of this unless somebody can walk me through the process in a way that actually works. HELP!

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 5:38 PM

Okay, I FINALLY figured it out. This really should not be so hard. Here's what I did:

1. Go to Projects and select all the ones you want to delete.

2. File > Delete Projects and confirm

3. It will copy the media into new "events."

4. Under Media, click on All Events. Below that, in iMovie Library, you'll see a list of the "events." Select all of those and go to File > Delete Events.

Sheesh.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 5:38 PM in response to whomayshebe

Okay, I FINALLY figured it out. This really should not be so hard. Here's what I did:

1. Go to Projects and select all the ones you want to delete.

2. File > Delete Projects and confirm

3. It will copy the media into new "events."

4. Under Media, click on All Events. Below that, in iMovie Library, you'll see a list of the "events." Select all of those and go to File > Delete Events.

Sheesh.

Feb 24, 2021 9:25 AM in response to whomayshebe

Thanks for posting that very clear step-by-step procedure for deleting multiple iMovie projects and their media.

You can avoid space problems like this by storing your iMovie library on an external drive, with ample space, that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. Most people who work with videos use external storage because videos take up lots of space. External drives are very inexpensive these days.

-- Rich

Deleting events, or files, or something from iMovie library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.