Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panics after upgrading to Big Sur

My 2016 MacBook Pro 15" was completely stable when running Catalina but now crashes frequently with a kernel panic when going to sleep.

I have reset PRAM, SMC etc, run diagnostics in Internet Recovery. Diagnostics says nothing found. No kernel panic log is found Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Attached is the Kernel Panic copied to a text edit doc from the send to apple screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 3:36 PM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing some issues with your MacBook Pro since updating to Big Sur, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Let's go ahead and follow the troubleshooting steps we've linked for you below.

First, go ahead and unplug any peripherals that you may have connected to your MacBook Pro, then restart and test the issue.

If the issue is unresolved, let's go ahead and try starting up in safe mode by following the steps we've linked below, and let us know the result.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 3:36 PM in response to Steve Mattson

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing some issues with your MacBook Pro since updating to Big Sur, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Let's go ahead and follow the troubleshooting steps we've linked for you below.

First, go ahead and unplug any peripherals that you may have connected to your MacBook Pro, then restart and test the issue.

If the issue is unresolved, let's go ahead and try starting up in safe mode by following the steps we've linked below, and let us know the result.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Steve Mattson

An update to this post. This MacBook Pro just came back from AppleCare with a new Logic Board, and Top Case with battery. The Kernel panics have returned and continue when the MacBook Pro goes to sleep.

I still tend to think that this is a Big Sur issue as it never occurred with Catalina. The software and kernel extensions are the same as the ones I had running in Catalina.

The kernel panic from the alert dialog box always points to "Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily" Does this offer any clues?

Thanks

Kernel Panics after upgrading to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.