Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared iTunes playlist — song stops playing

I have made my first shared playlist in iTunes 12.8.2.3 on my iMac running MacOS 10.13.6. The link to it is:

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/heartaches-by-the-number/pl.u-5j8Z1tb6Aeq

My problem is that song #18, "Time Changes Everything," stops playing at the same point (0:48, at the word "vain") when I play it from the shared playlist in my Google Chrome or Safari browser. The song plays fine in the Music app on my iPad or iPhone. It also plays fine when I play it directly from the playlist in iTunes. I don't yet know whether the person I made the playlist for, who uses iTunes and not the Apple Music app, has the same problem. I wonder whether anyone out there can tell me why this particular song, which I purchased in iTunes from the Apple Music store, can't get past the word "vain" when I play it in the shared playlist that appears in my browser tab. If someone who subscribes to Apple Music clicks on the link above, can he or she play "Time Changes Everything" in its entirety?

Anyway, what would seem to be the explanation for this weirdness? All the songs prior to "Time Changes Everything" play correctly. The song right after "Time Changes Everything," Hank Snow's "I Don't Hurt Anymore," won't play at all, and notice that the final "t" in "Don't" doesn't actually appear in the song title in the browser tab, if that means anything. I'm now testing the shared playlist in the browser tab, starting from Floyd Tillman's "I Love You So Much It Hurts" on.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 9:47 AM

I bought a different copy of "I Don't Hurt Anymore" from the Apple Music store and substituted it in my shared playlist for the first copy of that song that I had in there ... and the anomaly disappeared! The "Time Changes Everything" track, which I did not replace, plays all the way through now without a hitch. Then the new version of "I Don't Hurt Anymore" plays all the way through without a hitch. So the first version I had of "I Don't Hurt Anymore" was the culprit. I can't say what exactly was wrong with it that made it cause a problem not only with itself but with the previous song in the playlist. The problem showed up only in the context of being played in a shared playlist, but not in the context of being played in the original playlist in iTunes. Go figure!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Eric P. Stewart

I bought a different copy of "I Don't Hurt Anymore" from the Apple Music store and substituted it in my shared playlist for the first copy of that song that I had in there ... and the anomaly disappeared! The "Time Changes Everything" track, which I did not replace, plays all the way through now without a hitch. Then the new version of "I Don't Hurt Anymore" plays all the way through without a hitch. So the first version I had of "I Don't Hurt Anymore" was the culprit. I can't say what exactly was wrong with it that made it cause a problem not only with itself but with the previous song in the playlist. The problem showed up only in the context of being played in a shared playlist, but not in the context of being played in the original playlist in iTunes. Go figure!

Mar 1, 2021 8:48 AM in response to turingtest2

If there is a maximum playlist length involved, I don’t think it would let me play songs that come after "Time Changes Everything" and "I Don’t Hurt Anymore," but I can indeed play the songs that come later in the shared playlist. I am going to do some experimenting because I can’t believe the problem with the first of those two songs isn’t related to the fact that the "t" after the apostrophe in the second song title is missing in the title as it appears in the shared playlist ... but not in the song title that appears In iTunes. I note that earlier in the playlist I have "Don't Be Cruel," and the "t" does indeed appear after the apostrophe.. That song plays correctly, as do the prior song and the following song. There seems to be something weird about the title of "I Don’t Hurt Anymore" as it is being fetched from the iCloud library or wherever. The apostrophe-t may not be entered there correctly, or there is a non-printing character embedded in the title, or something like that. Whatever the nature of the problem, I think it gets triggered while "Time Changes Everything" is still playing. That song stops playing somewhere in the playback of the word "vain," but not always at the same exact moment. It’s like the anticipatory buffering halts due to the anomaly in the "I Don't Hurt Anymore" title.

Mar 1, 2021 11:45 AM in response to turingtest2

So true! I realize Apple has its reasons, but I don’t really understand why iTunes the app on Mac computers, Windows computers, and maybe Linux computers had to get replaced by (Apple) Music the app. My own iMac can’t run the new Music app — my iMac is too old. So iTunes still exists for it and for Windows machines. Every user of a newer MacOS computer presumably uses the new Music app. Meanwhile, the Music app is also used on my pretty darn old iPad running iOS 14.4. And the Music app runs on my iPhone that is so old it can’t be upgraded beyond iOS 10.3.3. And don’t get me started on the methodology used by the iCloud music library, which I have never completely understood.

Shared iTunes playlist — song stops playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.