Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot unlock "Macintosh HD - Data" disk

Edit: I actually deleted my hard drive and preformed a clean install of MacOS Big Sur when the MacBook repaired.

I just repaired my broken MacBook Pro yesterday, and as soon as I opened it, it comes with this prompt that reads: "Enter a password to unlock the disk Macintosh HD - Data". I tried entering my user login password and my iCloud (Apple ID) password. But none worked. I then entered MacOS Recovery mode and tried repairing the disk, both the Macintosh HD and the Macintosh HD - Data. I also have 3 Macintosh HD - Data disks for some odd reason. After I repaired Macintosh HD, I clicked on Macintosh HD - Data, and repaired it. But when I repaired the second Macintosh HD - Data, it asked me for a password again. I just cancelled and the reparation cancelled. So, I exited MacOS Recovery and the same prompt came. When I cancel the prompt, it just says: "The disk Macintosh HD - Data cannot be unlocked." Please help.

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:40 AM

Obviously you left some extra volume when doing the last install. I'd backup, make a bootable USB Big Sur flash installer, boot it, and erase the whole internal device as APFS (not just the volumes -- to see the device you have to reveal it), then re-do the clean install.

Similar questions

2 replies

Cannot unlock "Macintosh HD - Data" disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.