Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th Gen Freezing if pausing Home Sharing Content

Since the release of TVos 14 the playback of content over Home Sharing when paused causes a frozen app. The only way to resume playback is to kill the app, relaunch and resume playback of the video. It is a major hassle. It is not related to the source computer or the network as I rolled the TVos back to a previous version and there was no issue. Unfortunately, even though I had disabled Auto-Update, some over jealous remote button clicking by the kids has caused us to update again all the way to 14.4 now, and bingo the problem is right back again!

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 11:47 AM

I'm guessing the content has Dolby surround audio? There is a known bug with tvOS 14 where local content containing Dolby audio is not processed properly, with a side-effect of causing the Home Sharing app to freeze. Until a fix is issued, a temporary workaround is to go into tvOS Settings/Audio Format and set to stereo only. I recommend filing a bug report so Apple knows proper surround support is important to Apple TV users. https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2021 11:47 AM in response to Acey69

I'm guessing the content has Dolby surround audio? There is a known bug with tvOS 14 where local content containing Dolby audio is not processed properly, with a side-effect of causing the Home Sharing app to freeze. Until a fix is issued, a temporary workaround is to go into tvOS Settings/Audio Format and set to stereo only. I recommend filing a bug report so Apple knows proper surround support is important to Apple TV users. https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Mar 4, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Jpdev001

Thank you Jpdev001 for your answer. I have changed that setting as recommended and bingo it no longer freezes when I pause Home Sharing content. Interestingly though, I don't encode for Dolby audio as we have nothing fancy installed for the auditory experience. Still, a result! Happy days! Thank you again!

Apple TV 4th Gen Freezing if pausing Home Sharing Content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.