Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina duplicates file, *double storage*

I just discovered that Catalina duplicates files. In addition to /Users/home, I see /System/Volumes/Data/Users/home

This thread partially answers my question. I can also confirm that if you delete one, then both will be gone.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251364281

The remaining question is why double storage? I confirmed in various way that the storage is also duplicated. My problem is , obviously, running out of space.

I do not know if has something to do with the double storage. I upgraded to Catalina from High Sierra a while ago; it's not a new computer that came with Catalina. Also, I never ran TM on this computer.

This is not happening on Big Sur (new computer, not upgraded); there are are no duplicated files in /Systems

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 9:48 AM

It's not a duplicate. It is just file system smoke and mirrors.

The Data drive which has the Users folder is mounted to /System/Volumes/Data.

The Finder makes it all look like the OS Volume (Macintosh HD) and the Data volume (Macintosh HD - Data) are a single volume.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 6, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Barney-15E

I can confirm - for new files that is. I copy a 50 GB folder from an external drive, it decreases the Mac storage by 50 GB. Then, I delete it and the storages goes up 50 GB.

Yet, there is something strange with the existing files. If I add the non System (1st screenshot) it is just under 80 GB (size not shown in the screenshot), whereas System is 95 GB. Also, the total storage (2nd screenshot) is 107 GB.

I suspect something went wrong during the migration from High Sierra to Catalina (including HFS->APFS), and the change from iTunes to Music & TV. I deleted the TV folder and freed up twice the storage.

But that's too hard to prove or replicate, as I do not want to keep messing with it. I am glad there is no duplication for new files.

Catalina duplicates file, *double storage*

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.