Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating card for subscriptions/ apple wallet

I am trying to update a card on file, I have a replacement debit card with the same card number but new expiration date and CVV but apple is not accepting this card. It says "This payment method has already been added to your account" in red text. I have tried to delete the previous card, but it says "There is an active subscription on this account that requires at least one payment on file" I have cancelled said subscription (apple music) in hopes that if I have the cancelled subscription I can remove the old card. Today (March 6, 2021) is when the subscription says it will expire yet it's not letting me remove the card. Very frustrating please help!

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 3:50 PM

Hello dh_33,

We understand you've are trying to update your Apple ID payment method with a replacement card, but you're unable to do so.

You've done a great job checking for any current subscriptions, as any active subscription does require at least one payment method on file. Do you have an iCloud storage plan? We ask as you'll need to cancel all subscriptions, which includes an iCloud storage plan.

If you do have one, you'll need to downgrade your iCloud storage plan. Before doing so, we'd recommend making a backup of your devices without iCloud.

When your subscription period is over, please try to change your payment method again.

If you're still unable to remove or change your payment method, please see the steps on what to do if you can't remove your last payment method.

Best regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 3:50 PM in response to dh_33

Hello dh_33,

We understand you've are trying to update your Apple ID payment method with a replacement card, but you're unable to do so.

You've done a great job checking for any current subscriptions, as any active subscription does require at least one payment method on file. Do you have an iCloud storage plan? We ask as you'll need to cancel all subscriptions, which includes an iCloud storage plan.

If you do have one, you'll need to downgrade your iCloud storage plan. Before doing so, we'd recommend making a backup of your devices without iCloud.

When your subscription period is over, please try to change your payment method again.

If you're still unable to remove or change your payment method, please see the steps on what to do if you can't remove your last payment method.

Best regards.

Updating card for subscriptions/ apple wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.