Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign into Paramount Plus on Apple TV

Subscribed on Apple TV, downloaded the App, cannot restore purchase. Says I had a subscription and I should sign up again. Works fine when I access it through the Apple TV app.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 2:36 AM

A Paramount+ subscription started outside of the Apple TV app, will require its own app.

A Paramount+ Channel subscription started inside of the Apple TV app, will require it to be viewed in the Apple TV app.

These two types of subscriptions are generally not exchangeable (although content providers can make provisions for a one-way crossover).

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 2:36 AM in response to bxsherman

A Paramount+ subscription started outside of the Apple TV app, will require its own app.

A Paramount+ Channel subscription started inside of the Apple TV app, will require it to be viewed in the Apple TV app.

These two types of subscriptions are generally not exchangeable (although content providers can make provisions for a one-way crossover).

Mar 12, 2021 1:00 PM in response to bxsherman

If you subscribed outside of Apple TV, then you have to install the App onApple Tv device. If you click the icon on the Home Screen it will try and take you to Paramount within the Apple TV app which is totally separate. If you signed up within the Apple TV app, you can not sign in on a separate app anywhere except in the Apple TV app. It really is a bit of a mess, not helped by Apple TV device, Apple TV app, and the Apple TV streaming service. Apple screwed up big time on this confusing naming and the inability to personalize the Apple TV app to show what services you have already subscribed to.

Mar 30, 2021 3:42 PM in response to Option 1

I went back into the Apple TV app and when I hit the round paramount+ button it said “you must install the paramount+ app... the one I just deleted. uh ohhhhhhhhh...

Unfortunately, it seems that Paramount+ hasn’t implemented the same crossover functionality that CBS had provided.

You seems to be referring to getting the new Clarice episode. That is all based on a mistake in airing dates. You would not have been able to see it in the separate content provider app either, if you were able to sign in.

Dec 1, 2021 7:46 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I just spent over an hour with Apple's tech support for this same issue. I'm not sure which of the following helped things work but here's what we did.

1. Sign out of icloud in the Settings area of the apple TV boxtop set.
  2. Delete the Paramount+ app (this step probably wasn't necessary)
  3. Sign back into the icloud account in the Apple TV boxtop set settings area
  4. Re-download the Paramount+ app on the boxtop
  5. Select the "Sign-in" option on the Paramount+ app on the boxtop set (probably not necessary) and select the option on the the bottom to restore an iTunes subscription. This will fail to find a subscription.
  6. On the Apple TV boxtop set, select the AppleTV app
  7. Select the Paramount+ show you were trying to watch.

This time, the show played as it recognized my subscription--yay!

Jul 7, 2021 2:06 PM in response to marcha lenta

That is a bit odd, since Paramount+ doesn't actually have prices for anything individually. Everything is included in the subscription.

Perhaps you were looking at the episodes not in Paramount Plus, but in iTunes in which case it would have price, but should also show options of where to watch it below it.

for instance:

However, looking at Episode 2 of "Way of the Warrior" it does not offer the option to watch in Paramount Plus if its accessed through the iTunes Store. It in fact only shows the TV option which is of course not part of Paramount Plus.

The Apple TV+ subscription only includes Apple's now original content it does not include content form other providers for free.

Mar 15, 2021 10:38 PM in response to bxsherman

I am having a similar issue. I restored a CBS All Access Subscription that is now “Paramount Plus” it shows up under my Apple ID as a subscription to ParamountPlus but when I try to access it on my Vizio Smart TV with the Paramount Plus App and/or the Apple TV App, it will not allow me. Says I need to try the free trial and put in my credit card into the start charging once the trial is over. But why? I already pay for the Paramount Plus App via my Apple subscriptions every month...

Mar 25, 2021 11:33 AM in response to bxsherman

I had the same problem.

I subscribed to Peacock through Apple and am able to access Peacock's app on Apple TV, iPhone, iPad and Roku by logging into my Peacock account. I can't recall the specifics of how that worked but I do recall having no issues at all.

I subscribed to Paramount+ (then still CBS All Access) and tried to access the subscription through CBS' website. There is no option to log in with Apple credentials. I contacted Apple support and was informed that it's not possible to access CBS' app, rather I must use Apple Channels. I don't like having everything jumbled together. Fortunately, Apple unsubscribed me and refunded my money. I resumed my CBS All Access subscription directly with them and all is well.

Back when DC Universe was a movie/tv thing, it worked like Peacock does now. I am sure there are reasons that the various arrangements make sense to the providers.

Mar 28, 2021 7:35 AM in response to bxsherman

I am having the same issue. I received a free month of Paramount+ through Apple TV. When I tried to watch the latest episode of “CBS Sunday Morning” on the Apple TV Paramount Channel, it insisted on taking me to the app to watch the show. However, I was unable to log into the app with my Apple ID. There was an option to log in for those subscribed through “iTunes.” When I tried that, it said that I had no subscription (Paramount+ is definitely listed as a subscription on my Apple TV account—I double checked).

My guess is that Apple TV has some agreement with Paramount about what content it can show on its “channel” versus the full app. Basically, from what I see here, the Paramount+ channel on Apple TV is a stripped down, content-restricted version of the real thing for the same price. You’re probably better off subscribing through Paramount directly.

Mar 28, 2021 2:11 PM in response to CRod210

Yeah, I’m another one with the same problem. I tried to watch the latest episode of Clarice. I open the program through “My Channels,” where I subscribed. I can watch episodes I’ve previous watched, but if I try and watch the latest episode, which I haven’t watched, it forces me to the new Paramount+ App where it wants me to subscribe for access. Am I going to need to cancel my subscription through Apple and subscribe directly to Paramount+ now!? That’s not what we were told would happen.

Jason

Mar 28, 2021 6:07 PM in response to bxsherman

I have the same issue. I purchased the CBS All Access Showtime bundle through the Apple TV app and it was working fine up until I tried the watch the latest episode of Clarice. Now it wants me to install the app and sign up through it and pay again. This is not what they have been saying. Paramount said nothing would change when the name changed. What is worse is my subscription through Apple for this just renewed yesterday. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Mar 28, 2021 7:50 PM in response to bxsherman

When Paramount+ started, I read and saw (through usage) that we who bought the bundle with Apple TV would have it grandfathered in. It worked fine if I used the channel “button” from within the Apple TV app. If I tried to use the original icon for paramount+ from the Apple TV desktop it would ask me to sign in. I’ve never had a user ID/password for paramount+ so I just clicked on Apple TV and accessed paramount+ from there. It worked that way and this was a quirk I could live with.

Since the paramount+ app outside Apple TV was now useless, I deleted it.

BIG MISTAKE.

I went back into the Apple TV app and when I hit the round paramount+ button it said “you must install the paramount+ app... the one I just deleted. uh ohhhhhhhhh...

NOW it’s completely borked. From within the stand alone paramount+ app there is a sign in widow and in the widow is an option to click if you have a subscription through Apple TV. I clicked it and... “restore failed - no subscription found”

I’m hoping that like most of the weird things that happen with apple, this will resolve itself with just a bit of time passing.

But I have a bad feeling.

Mar 28, 2021 8:26 PM in response to Option 1

Yea, between the problems with my cbs/showtime bundles that somehow got cancelled., Disney and hbo not being part of family sharing, and paramount “channel” issues, I don’t think I am going to be doing any channels with Apple. They all work much better if you subscribe directly with the channel. Not sure how Apple was able to implement this so poorly.

Sign into Paramount Plus on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.