Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook and Mac mini issue crash freeze when searching network shares

While starting a search on network shares: finder freezes and then the whole mac needs full restart using the power button.

It is a confirmed bug on both my M1 machines (Macbook pro and Mac mini 11.2.3 and earlier)

I can accept bugs, but I cannot handle the answer from apple support:

"Network shares are not supported for consumers. You can take a 526Euro Apple care support contract and then they might be able to help"

Many consumers own a Synology, Qnap, Asustor or linux server with network shares. NOT supported? Business users will return a macbook if they cannot search shares!

Let us hope they fix the issue sooner than later. At least a real scratch on my trust in Apple support!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 4:25 AM

With the aid of the Synology synoforum.com members The issue is now pinpointed and fully reproducible.

The Mac M1 systems will crash/freeze only if there is a Universal search index present on the Synology share.

Once the index is deleted there are no more crashes. I am not sure if this is a Synology bug or an Apple bug, so I filed the issue at both helpdesks.

The Macbook late 2013 does actually benefit a lot from the Universal search index, but the M1 crashes.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2021 4:25 AM in response to EAZ1964

With the aid of the Synology synoforum.com members The issue is now pinpointed and fully reproducible.

The Mac M1 systems will crash/freeze only if there is a Universal search index present on the Synology share.

Once the index is deleted there are no more crashes. I am not sure if this is a Synology bug or an Apple bug, so I filed the issue at both helpdesks.

The Macbook late 2013 does actually benefit a lot from the Universal search index, but the M1 crashes.

Mar 22, 2021 1:53 AM in response to EAZ1964

It is confirmed by Synology as a MacOS bug:

Thank you for contacting Synology support.

We use macOS 11.1 and 11.2 can reproduce the same problem, but not on 11.3 beta.

We can have some modifications on your NAS to eliminate the problem, or you can wait for macOS 11.3 to come out and upgrade to that macOS version.

If you want us to do the NAS modification, please provide us the remote session to your NAS.

So I will wait for the next macOs update. 

So for the time being: no quick searching using Universal search if you own a mac with M1.

Second conclusion: Apple support is less capable to support on this issues than Synology.

M1 Macbook and Mac mini issue crash freeze when searching network shares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.