Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 Small Black Dots On Screen !

i had two black / gray dots in my screen yesterday and i had to return my two months old macbook air m1 and the authorized agent here (in sri lanka) promised on a direct screen replacement from apple ... any idea about this ? and wont apple be replacing my unit instead of replacing the screen after two months ?

And how can i know if they replaced with the correct screen since the 2020 m1 comes with p3 color gamut and 2020 intel comes with sRGB.

Please help 😔

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 7:01 AM

I have the same issue. Two tiny spots in the screen after 11 months of use. I refuse to believe that this is dust 'pushed inside the plastic layer' due to any dust from the keyboard. Apple has had a nice record of bad screens after a normal amount of use. I hope that they will be able to repair these screens without Apple care like they have done in the past, after many of their customers have come forward due to faulty products.

I suggest anyone with this issue to leave a comment and not just simply read the comments and accept their issue with these black spots.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 7:01 AM in response to faqiehy

I have the same issue. Two tiny spots in the screen after 11 months of use. I refuse to believe that this is dust 'pushed inside the plastic layer' due to any dust from the keyboard. Apple has had a nice record of bad screens after a normal amount of use. I hope that they will be able to repair these screens without Apple care like they have done in the past, after many of their customers have come forward due to faulty products.

I suggest anyone with this issue to leave a comment and not just simply read the comments and accept their issue with these black spots.

May 2, 2021 5:15 AM in response to gayan3000

hey I just want to know.. what happen with your macbook now? cause my m1 macbook have the same problem just today... its weird.. I didnt do anything i just left it overnight for rendering some 3 hours of video and at the morning I just noticed the black dot thingy on my screen... can I get this fix with warranty? cause I purchased this on last christmass..

Dec 7, 2021 9:19 AM in response to gayan3000

So to tell you all, those are not dead pixels. As the MacBooks are thin, the distance between the keyboard and the plastic layered screen is critical, there are a lot of possible times when little dirt, dust goes onto your keyboard, and when you close your laptop, the keyboard pushes it inside the plastic layer, which makes the layer deformed, and breaks the outer light in a different way, resulting a distortion, and darkish colour on your screen. The are no dead pixels, but a damaged plastic layer, which can only be replaced with the screen itself which is quite expensive.

Since this is not a manufacturer's fault, but a damage caused by YOU, Apple DOES NOT REPLACE THE SCREEN because of this anymore, so you have to start living with it.

Take care of you MacBooks, try to wipe off the dust when you close the laptop.

Jan 18, 2022 4:33 AM in response to gayan3000

Good day,

I noticed the same on my Macbook Air M1 yesterday. Mine isn’t even 2 months old and I take care of my things I even have an iMac late 2012 that’s nearly in perfect condition so I was flabbergasted when I noticed dead pixels on my brand new Macbook Air.

I’m going to Apple in a few days, hopefully they can clear a few things up for me, because this issue has me paranoid now.

first time ever I’ve had issues with my Apple products.

Oct 31, 2021 6:38 PM in response to gayan3000

This happened to mine also but it was a black spot. I did several remote support sessions. Reset, disk repair and then reinstalled software, it got worse over time. Then went completely black screen, did not function at all. I tried to fix it myself by pushing the dead pixels and they would move around and change, apple repair was closed during lockdown here so I sent it into one of there 3rd party apple licensed repair (terrible idea) waited 2 months to be told I would need to pay $900 for a new screen as it was "customer damage". I've never damaged the computer.

Dec 7, 2021 8:04 PM in response to Quathier

No, It is very easy to say "damaged caused by you", If someone is buying the premium product that person knows how to take care of it. In some cases it may be possible the customer is responsible but if happens frequently for most of the users then apple should take care of it. For my specific case, I took care of my MacBook very well and after two months I saw a dead pixel. I found this problem happened with most of the users after two months.

Jan 4, 2022 3:34 PM in response to path14

I noticed a very small grayish dot on my screen as well, I think its been there for a while but I though it was some dust particle until I tried to clean it. I know Apple will probably replace it but since It is on the lower end of the screen, now I'm afraid to get it replaced and get a new one in some more obvious spot. My limited warranty doesn't expires until August/22 so I think I'm gonna wait a few months to get it replaced. Apple is selling tons of these things so the production must be suffering to meet the quality standard.

I'll likely forget about it as its not easy to see tbh, no product will be perfect forever. Usually the first detail you notice is the one you keep obsessed for a while until you move on.

Macbook Air M1 Small Black Dots On Screen !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.