Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Catalina not recognizing Areca RAID, but MacBook Big Sur does.

Hi, I have an iMac 2014 running Catalina, it does not recognize an Areca Raid with four independent 4TB drives (Seagates) though a Thunderbolt connection. If I disconnect the Thunderbolt cable and connect the USB 3.0 cable, the iMac now sees only one of the 4 drives (the top one in the vertical slots).

The iMac will not acknowledge the 4 external drives through Thunderbolt. The same Areca RAID connected to my 2015 15" MacBook Pro running Big Sur works perfectly, all 4 drives show up on the finder.

I have re-installed Catalina. To my surprise, when the time comes to choose where I want the OS to be installed, the iMac gives me all drives available, and that includes (insert laugh track here) the 4 drives on the Raid I can not access under normal circumstances. Installation complete, back to the desktop and disk utility, the drives are nowhere to be found.

I do not want to update to BigSur due to incompatibility issues with a video card. So, not sure what to do. HELP. Thank you all, greetings from Brazil.

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 11:09 AM

Contact the developer of the Areca RAID please for support on their unit.

Similar questions

1 reply

iMac Catalina not recognizing Areca RAID, but MacBook Big Sur does.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.