Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connections to host failed

I have a new MacBook Pro using M1 in Mail - why do I see Connections to host Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail on the default ports failed?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 11:14 AM

Hi 1111AppleUser,

We se a connection to your iCloud Mail has failed in the Mail app on your new MacBook Pro.

To confirm we're on the same page, are you referring to the Connection Doctor window accessible in the Mail app under Window > Mail Connection Doctor? If so, do you encounter any issues with other accounts?

Additionally, is there any software on your Mac that may modify how you connect to the internet, such as a VPN? If so, disconnect it and check Mail again.

Finally take a look through the tips under the "If you can't send mail from the Mail app on your Mac" section of the following article:

Let us know the results from there.

Cheers!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 11:14 AM in response to 1111AppleUser

Hi 1111AppleUser,

We se a connection to your iCloud Mail has failed in the Mail app on your new MacBook Pro.

To confirm we're on the same page, are you referring to the Connection Doctor window accessible in the Mail app under Window > Mail Connection Doctor? If so, do you encounter any issues with other accounts?

Additionally, is there any software on your Mac that may modify how you connect to the internet, such as a VPN? If so, disconnect it and check Mail again.

Finally take a look through the tips under the "If you can't send mail from the Mail app on your Mac" section of the following article:

Let us know the results from there.

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2021 3:50 PM in response to 1111AppleUser

1111AppleUser,

Thanks for the clarification.

If you're unable to send across a number of accounts we'd recommend checking your SMTP settings.

In the Mail app, from the menu bar go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings. Ideally if your email accounts are commonly used ones such as Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo etc, the option to "Automatically manage connection settings" should be checked. If they're already checked and the issue persists, you may need to uncheck those options and manually enter your mail settings info.

Most accounts you can find the proper IMAP and SMTP port settings by entering your email address into the following link.

Finally, If you're still unable to send mail, remove and then re-add the account.

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2021 11:48 AM in response to jeremy_v

I've only had a little more time at this. Those last instructions seem helpful and correct. However still no go. When I set up this M1 Mac all but my Mac accounts show up in my mailboxes.

As I said, these mailboxes still work another devices. Worth mentioning though is that I have no Outbox. Perhaps this next picture can help. I think I know correct passwords, obviously I don't. Can find them in keychain access or the ones I can find don't work. No matter how I try I cannot add my Mac Mail addresses and I have no outbox.

Mar 16, 2021 2:36 PM in response to 1111AppleUser

Thank you. I was not referring to iCloud Mail so unfortunately this will not resolve my problem as I seemed to have indicated above. I'm pretty sure that I am referring to the inability to connect/use an outgoing server. In years past setting up Account was more clear. Unless I am doing something wrong, I think I tried several things that just do not establish account properly. I cannot send, I don't have an Outbox. I am receiving mail for some accounts (Non-Apple). I cannot set up my Mac Mail accounts. I use them on other Macs. I do not want to use my Time Machine to restore these accounts. I just want to be able to connect/see my established Mac accounts on my new Mac. The error I receive is quite clear - Connections to host Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail on the default ports failed.

Mar 16, 2021 2:53 PM in response to Chris_C1

Originally I saw more items addressed that were a little more pertinent than the (incorrect) answer I replied to above. Don't know where those point are now. Perhaps I will be able to find them again There were some thing that I could have tried. I don't see them listed now. Also, it was advised that I call Apple, which I was trying to avoid using this community. I will post correct answers when I get them.

Mar 16, 2021 2:59 PM in response to Chris_C1

I received this answer in my email - To confirm we're on the same page, are you referring to the Connection Doctor window accessible in the Mail app under Window > Mail Connection Doctor? If so, do you encounter any issues with other accounts?

I'm not referring to Mail Connection Doctor. I am referring I'm quite sure to inability to connect to Outgoing server.

Thanks.

Connections to host failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.