Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The TV app on my MBP doesn't work properly

Ever since I bought my latest MBP in 2018, around the time we lost iTunes, my TV app has refused to work properly. Even when I have watched a TV show or a Movie the little blue indicator doesn't go out to show this, it also doesn't show a half watched programme either.

I know what it should be doing because I still have my old 2013 MBP which does behave properly.

My MBP doesn't sync with my iPad either, it copies the content across, but doesn't reflect the viewing time in the sync, if, say, I had half watched a movie on my MBP and wanted to finish watching on my iPad.

I have tried all the suggested fixes, logging out of iCloud, reauthorising the MPB etc, but it still continues to baffle me.

there is also weirdness sometimes when I have deleted some content from my device, I later find it still in the library, but not showing in the TV app and I always use 'move to bin!'

Any help greatly appreciated. I've put this question in the iTunes option as there isn't an option for the mac TV app!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 9:47 AM

Oops, ignore my previous reply which I pasted into the wrong window.

You should be able to use Finder to sync locally stored media to an iPad. With synced content playback positions ought to sync, but perhaps that is a feature from iTunes that hasn't been properly migrated into TV. Apple haven't yet introduced a feature to sync played status for purchases between devices over the air, which is a shame. It works for Apple TV+ content.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2021 9:47 AM in response to dpx

Oops, ignore my previous reply which I pasted into the wrong window.

You should be able to use Finder to sync locally stored media to an iPad. With synced content playback positions ought to sync, but perhaps that is a feature from iTunes that hasn't been properly migrated into TV. Apple haven't yet introduced a feature to sync played status for purchases between devices over the air, which is a shame. It works for Apple TV+ content.

tt2

Mar 18, 2021 9:22 AM in response to turingtest2

The content does sync and sometimes even the watched time is synced too, but not always. As you say it would be nice if this happened over the air as it used to with iTunes.

I have made a new library and copied everything over, but still the blue dot doesn't go out when the movie is watched despite it doing so on my older computer running the same OS. That's what is bugging me. Why my new MBP is different.

The TV app on my MBP doesn't work properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.