Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quiescent OperatingTemperature ? (a dog's hind leg)

If you haven’t enabled Mac’s Accessibility feature, that allows reading aloud, this might be a good time to do this … to minimise the Boredom Factor.

I have been concerned for some time about the OperatingTemperature of my entry level Mac Book Pro (13” intel i5 Quad Core 128GB), to the point of deciding to monitor it (with a K-type thermocouple).

According to https://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro-13/specs/ the “Operating Temperature” of a MacBook Pro 13” (512KB) is : 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F).

I have found that the Real Operating Temperature is 35°C (in an ambient of 22°C).

I would have thought that unlike a human brain, heat generation/dissipation would vary with the amount of activity, and it would make sense that the “Operating Temperature” is actually Ambient Temperature then I would expect my Mac’s Real Operating Temperature to be about 75°C (in ambient of 75°C), and it would be a case of when does my Electronic Brain begin to fry, perhaps this is when the “friendly frying” sound, of the fan kicking in (which I sure I’ve heard while my computer is Quiescent ??).

Perhaps the Turbo Boost automatically kicks out, to protect the device at some point ?

I used to work with analog computers with rail voltage of 20 volts DC or more. MIL Spec. ICs where employed to get around the temperature problems, associated with the high rail voltage. Seemed a bit daft to me at the time. 

Professional Paranoia is probably as uncomfortable as real paranoia for me, but I’m sure the question can be solve by a nice person who has digested the Data Sheet https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/600644 , of course the CPU isn’t the only IC exposed to the Operating Temperature. 

… Perhaps a good spy story would link an unsatisfactory answer to the Stuxnet Virus, but this might stretch the imagination of a retired old dinosaur like me.

PS If anyone is able to help with an answer on why 8 Bar Graphs are displayed, instead of  an expected 4 - for a Quad Core CPU. Try : Activity Monitor (in Dock) - Right Click “Monitors”  > “Show CPU Usage”.

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 12:02 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 20, 2021 2:18 AM in response to Adhmor9

Tá.

Well this does not come as a surprise, but it does not answer what the maximum operating temperature is for the machine nor the temperature that the fan kicks in nor when the turbo cuts out, and most importantly why the machine is running at such an elevated temperature when the machine at idle. Without this information I do not know whether the machine normally.

Mar 20, 2021 3:43 AM in response to Adhmor9

Is that what you were asking? Sorry but even though I read your first post several times I found it unclear.

The point at which the fans cut in (and out) depends both on the internal and external temperatures, so there's no hard and fast answer.

If the fans are running while the machine is apparently idle, then check Activity Monitor to see if a process is running amok.

Quiescent OperatingTemperature ? (a dog's hind leg)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.