Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ominous messages

My iPad bleeps and then these crazy ominous messages appear at the top of the screen. They tell me my iPhone is damaged or there has been a terrible accident or Canadians are horrified. I don’t know where they come from or how to get rid of them. They appear at random intervals but I reckon I get at least 40 to 50 a day. I try to ignore them but they are so annoying.

Has anyone else had these messages? Does anyone know how I can get rid of them.

iPad Air 2, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 10:24 AM

You’re in luck - the problem that you describe likely being very easy to resolve.

It is highly probable that an inadvertent click on a website link has “subscribed” an additional (unwanted) Calendar to your device - and this unexpected Calendar is exposing unwanted calendar events and sending you unexpected “virus” or other unexpected warnings. 

Given that infecting a non-jailbroken iPad/iPhone with actual malware is incredibly difficult, this technique is employed by malicious Actors to fool or encourage you into doing something untoward - more often than not, parting with personal or financial information leading to fraud or attempted extortion.

You need to check for a Calendar account that’s out of place...

Settings > Passwords and Accounts

Look for an “account” that shouldn’t be in the list of accounts - as this will likely include the Calendar that contains all the unwanted events. When you find the suspect account, tap - then select Delete Account. This should resolve the problem in its entirety.

I hope you find this helpful in finding the source - and in resolving the issue if an unexpected Calendar is found.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Jampots24

You’re in luck - the problem that you describe likely being very easy to resolve.

It is highly probable that an inadvertent click on a website link has “subscribed” an additional (unwanted) Calendar to your device - and this unexpected Calendar is exposing unwanted calendar events and sending you unexpected “virus” or other unexpected warnings. 

Given that infecting a non-jailbroken iPad/iPhone with actual malware is incredibly difficult, this technique is employed by malicious Actors to fool or encourage you into doing something untoward - more often than not, parting with personal or financial information leading to fraud or attempted extortion.

You need to check for a Calendar account that’s out of place...

Settings > Passwords and Accounts

Look for an “account” that shouldn’t be in the list of accounts - as this will likely include the Calendar that contains all the unwanted events. When you find the suspect account, tap - then select Delete Account. This should resolve the problem in its entirety.

I hope you find this helpful in finding the source - and in resolving the issue if an unexpected Calendar is found.

Mar 22, 2021 10:01 AM in response to Jampots24

Spam.

Delete them.

You have probably signed up for some shady web site and installed a calendar spam:

Open Calendar App from the Home screen.

Next, tap the Calendars button at the bottom.

You should now notice a section called On My iPhone with several suspicious calendars listed below it. ...

Tap on the i button next to the suspicious calendar.

Now, tap on Delete Calendar.

Ominous messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.