Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iCloud iPad backup to a new iPad device

Hi all

i am new to this forum and have some very basic questions on restoring a backup to a new iOS device. I’m technical but very Apple illiterate . I did read up on the articles on this but I am concerned the switch might not go well for whatever reason.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/restore-or-set-up-your-ios-or-ipados-device-mm7e756df7fd/icloud

1. Turn on your iOS or iPadOS device.
  2. From the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in with your Apple ID.
  3. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

Questions

1. Do i first manually initiate a fresh backup of my current device.? It’s an old iPad mini2 and is running iOS12
  2. i assume next I turn off the old device to make sure it’s not connected any longer to the cloud. Should I disconnect the old device from iCloud at this time? Ie, deregister it, or wipe it clean to factory?
  3. it Is only able to run up to ios12. I read that this should not be a problem even though I will be installing it on a new ios14 device . Can someone confirm?
  4. I have not ordered the new iPad yet. When I get it what should I do. Should I set it up , register it, connect to iCloud etc, and update to latest ios14? If my old device is still connected and registered to cloud will this cause an issue.?
  5. I have a backup saved to a local PC with encryption enabled and keys saved. Is it better to do backup from local copy or iCloud? Which is more successful?
  6. i have pretty much everything enabled on iCloud except keychain. From what I understand, when enabling on iCloud, those items aren’t stored in the backup. Is there any preference on what to select with iCloud enabled to make the restore as smooth as possible? Should I enable keychain? And then do a fresh backup...
  7. My inotes are all saved local on iPad storage. Will these be included in the restore from the backup to my new device.
  8. IF something does backfire does Apple have a support line that people with new device can call for help?

sorry for very basic questions

i have never done one of these, and can’t go to the store for the assistance at this time

thanks.

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 2:33 PM

Ididsa wrote:

Hi all

i am new to this forum and have some very basic questions on restoring a backup to a new iOS device. I’m technical but very Apple illiterate . I did read up on the articles on this but I am concerned the switch might not go well for whatever reason.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/restore-or-set-up-your-ios-or-ipados-device-mm7e756df7fd/icloud1.

Turn on your iOS or iPadOS device.
2. From the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in with your Apple ID.
3. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

Questions
Do i first manually initiate a fresh backup of my current device.? It’s an old iPad mini2 and is running iOS12
5. i assume next I turn off the old device to make sure it’s not connected any longer to the cloud. Should I disconnect the old device from iCloud at this time? Ie, deregister it, or wipe it clean to factory?
6. it Is only able to run up to ios12. I read that this should not be a problem even though I will be installing it on a new ios14 device . Can someone confirm?
7. I have not ordered the new iPad yet. When I get it what should I do. Should I set it up , register it, connect to iCloud etc, and update to latest ios14? If my old device is still connected and registered to cloud will this cause an issue.?
8. I have a backup saved to a local PC with encryption enabled and keys saved. Is it better to do backup from local copy or iCloud? Which is more successful?
9. i have pretty much everything enabled on iCloud except keychain. From what I understand, when enabling on iCloud, those items aren’t stored in the backup. Is there any preference on what to select with iCloud enabled to make the restore as smooth as possible? Should I enable keychain? And then do a fresh backup...
10. My inotes are all saved local on iPad storage. Will these be included in the restore from the backup to my new device.
11. IF something does backfire does Apple have a support line that people with new device can call for help?

i have never done one of these, and can’t go to the store for the assistance at this time

thanks.

Use any of the 3 methods outlined here Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support done this over 75 times and never had an issue.

With your old ipad if you don't plan on using it you do this What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2021 2:33 PM in response to Ididsa

Ididsa wrote:

Hi all

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/restore-or-set-up-your-ios-or-ipados-device-mm7e756df7fd/icloud1.

Turn on your iOS or iPadOS device.

Questions
Do i first manually initiate a fresh backup of my current device.? It’s an old iPad mini2 and is running iOS12
5. i assume next I turn off the old device to make sure it’s not connected any longer to the cloud. Should I disconnect the old device from iCloud at this time? Ie, deregister it, or wipe it clean to factory?
6. it Is only able to run up to ios12. I read that this should not be a problem even though I will be installing it on a new ios14 device . Can someone confirm?
7. I have not ordered the new iPad yet. When I get it what should I do. Should I set it up , register it, connect to iCloud etc, and update to latest ios14? If my old device is still connected and registered to cloud will this cause an issue.?
8. I have a backup saved to a local PC with encryption enabled and keys saved. Is it better to do backup from local copy or iCloud? Which is more successful?
9. i have pretty much everything enabled on iCloud except keychain. From what I understand, when enabling on iCloud, those items aren’t stored in the backup. Is there any preference on what to select with iCloud enabled to make the restore as smooth as possible? Should I enable keychain? And then do a fresh backup...
10. My inotes are all saved local on iPad storage. Will these be included in the restore from the backup to my new device.
11. IF something does backfire does Apple have a support line that people with new device can call for help?

thanks.

Use any of the 3 methods outlined here Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support done this over 75 times and never had an issue.

With your old ipad if you don't plan on using it you do this What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 22, 2021 6:56 PM in response to Ididsa

Ididsa wrote:

Thanks

Regarding photos, I have photos enabled (“ON”) to use iCloud (“APPS USING ICLOUD”). So they will not be included in the backup, which is fine,

once i I bring up the new iPad, will the new iPad download all the photos from iCloud to my iPad storage. I need the full resolution photo access local because I sometimes do not have WiFi access or cellular access.

I have “Download and keep originals “ enabled for the photos

Also will all the photo albums be retained, etc....?

thanks again

I don't sync photos to icloud, but from what I've seen yes it returns not sure about the hi resolution but read here Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Mar 23, 2021 9:16 AM in response to Ididsa

Ididsa wrote:

once i I bring up the new iPad, will the new iPad download all the photos from iCloud to my iPad storage. I need the full resolution photo access local because I sometimes do not have WiFi access or cellular access.

If you a looking to recover the full resolution images from Photos in iCloud, see >>>

Download iCloud photos and videos – Apple Support

Mar 22, 2021 5:32 PM in response to razmee209

Thanks

Regarding photos, I have photos enabled (“ON”) to use iCloud (“APPS USING ICLOUD”). So they will not be included in the backup, which is fine,

I have “Download and keep originals “ enabled for the photos

Also will all the photo albums be retained, etc....?

thanks again

Restoring iCloud iPad backup to a new iPad device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.