Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I download updates when computer keeps asking for my wife's apple ID password?

I'm trying to download updates but my desktop is asking for my Ex-wife's Apple ID. All her accounts have been deleted over two years ago and I am the main administrator. How do I fix this?

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 12:51 PM

Are these apps or macOS updates that are failing?

If it's app updates failing and those apps are associated with a different Apple ID, you'll usually have to delete and re-download those apps and from the preferred Apple ID.

If it's macOS updates that are objecting, you'll likely find yourself backing up everything, re-installing macOS, and migrating your contents into the newly-installed environment. This is the same sequence as is preferred when selling or giving away a Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 12:51 PM in response to demeak

Are these apps or macOS updates that are failing?

If it's app updates failing and those apps are associated with a different Apple ID, you'll usually have to delete and re-download those apps and from the preferred Apple ID.

If it's macOS updates that are objecting, you'll likely find yourself backing up everything, re-installing macOS, and migrating your contents into the newly-installed environment. This is the same sequence as is preferred when selling or giving away a Mac.

how can I download updates when computer keeps asking for my wife's apple ID password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.