Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app not opening

After the latest Big Sur install (v 11.2.3 20D91) my messages app on my MBP M1 machine does not open. It bounces and after a few seconds the application is not responding and I have to force quit. The app never opens at all ("Messages" never appears next to the ).

FaceTime is doing almost the same as well - this application does opens, but the beachball comes up and it goes to not responding. When I receive a call my computer keeps ringing even after I pick it up on my cell phone. Every-time. Very annoying.

Restarted the computer numerous times, force quit the activity numerous times. Have not done a macOS reinstall yet.

Any others having this issue? Any fixes?

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 7:35 AM

_Apple_geek_ wrote:

After the latest Big Sur install (v 11.2.3 20D91) my messages app on my MBP M1 machine does not open. It bounces and after a few seconds the application is not responding and I have to force quit. The app never opens at all ("Messages" never appears next to the ).

FaceTime is doing almost the same as well - this application does opens, but the beachball comes up and it goes to not responding. When I receive a call my computer keeps ringing even after I pick it up on my cell phone. Every-time. Very annoying.

Restarted the computer numerous times, force quit the activity numerous times. Have not done a macOS reinstall yet.

Do a Safe Boot to clear caches and try again:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2021 7:35 AM in response to _Apple_geek_

_Apple_geek_ wrote:

Do a Safe Boot to clear caches and try again:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

Messages app not opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.