Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hotspot not working - iOS 14.4.2

Ever since the iOS 14 hit, my hotspot has been flakky. It would connect for a few minutes on my iPhone and then it would drop out. I use the iPad in conjunction with the iPhone.

It periodically improved around 14.1 iirc, however it is again flaring up with the recent update. I have rebooted both devices numerous times, reset the network however the problem does not go away. I do know it it is not the iPad as when I have my home wifi on there is zero issues.

Is anyone else experiencing such and is there any fix?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 3:35 AM

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Meanwhile..

Check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On you windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2021 3:35 AM in response to Alanray64

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Meanwhile..

Check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On you windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Jun 17, 2021 4:30 AM in response to Alanray64

I have experienced it after upgrading to iOS 14.6, all over sudden the personal hotspot disappeared, i tried all the options found here and from other sources . I tried:

1. restarting the phone
  2. toggling airplane mode
  3. checking hotspot APN found in mobile data > mobile data network {hotspot APN should be same as of the Mobile Data APN}
  4. removing sim card and reinserting again
  5. resetting network setting

but all of them did not provide the solution and the Personal Hotspot setup always says to contact carrier for setup.

but i tried one more thing and the personal hotspot came back to live and was working:

1. make sure you have set the Hotspot APN to match that of the current Mobile Data APN
  2. remove the current SIM CARD
  3. switch OFF your phone
  4. while the phone is OFF insert a different SIM CARD from different Carrier
  5. switch ON your device
  6. voilaaaa, Personal Hotspot is working

then you can re-insert the previous Sim Card...

Mar 30, 2021 6:57 PM in response to SravanKrA

In Context -

The Hot spot provided device has been restarted.

The Network Settings have been reset.

Network Coverage is Excellent.

Plenty of data on board and I mean plenty.

The Phone displays the Blue Hot spot connected in the top left of the phone display, where as the iPad wont show anything for about 10 or so minutes or not.

My location has a single Telco tower on site that provides 4/4 bars to my location with only Company Corporate Wifi services available

Thanks anyhow

Apr 6, 2021 10:25 AM in response to Alanray64

Same issue. Since the 14.4.2 Update.

-I've done all the recommended steps. Reset Network Settings, restart, etc. I have plenty of data available and connectivity. The issue persists.

Addl information:

-The wifi network password seems to be changing. I will get disconnected, I will open the settings app and go to Personal Hotspot, the wifi pass will show differently than I had it set to, attempting to change the wifi password does not work. Then the settings app will crash.

Apr 6, 2021 5:28 PM in response to tristanw

It would be good if an Apple Tech can get off their chairs and sort this issue out. I have looked over a number of websites and I can see it is a frequently occurring issue. Apple promised a fix a number of updates ago and still it is just being swept under the rug.

Where I do appreciate the responses from the voluntary community, Apple responses are nil.

A random website I read said it maybe related to the mobile network APN. I am still looking into it.

Apr 11, 2021 5:10 PM in response to Mona22Abdallah

Thought I check back in. My problem still continues. I restarted both devices again yet problem is still occurring. Constant Bluetooth disconnects. A year ago approx this never occurred and now it’s all the time with each update not fixing things.

Can Apple have a webpage listing known problems and whether they intend to fix or an eta. A bit of Quality auditing is needed here.

Apr 13, 2021 2:27 PM in response to Alanray64

I tried all sorts of different things, what finally got it to work for me was just clicking on "other" listed under the network list, and entering the name of my iphone (the network name) and password manually. For whatever reason the prepopulated entry listed under Personal Hotspots does seem to work, no matter what I tried. A bit annoying as you have to enter it every time instead of it "just work[ing]". But better than nothing. Hopefully the fix it in the next update.

Apr 15, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Alanray64

So my issue seems to be a bit different. Up until recently my iPad Air 4 would connect to my iPhone XR without issue. Recently, it will connect but not have any internet. I’ve tried the WiFi personal hotspot and I’ve tried Bluetooth. They both connect and pair but won’t give me internet access. Meanwhile my sons iPhone 7 connects without issue.

Ive reset network settings, renamed the phone, changed the password, taken all the steps that are supposed to work as a fix.

any ideas?

May 17, 2021 6:44 PM in response to Alanray64

I think I found a fix. After updating to IOS 14.5.1 my hotspot didn’t allow my computer to connect. I have an iPhone 11 Pro and an 11 Pro Max. This happened with both after I updated. Sometimes they would connect for a second then drop it and sometime would not connect at all when I selected the network name on my Mac.

What made it work is to change my network name from the factory setting of “iPhone” to a personalized name. It connected instantly and is staying connected. Here are those directions:

From the Home screen, tap Settings > General > About. Tap Name to change the name of your iPhone's personal hotspot

May 17, 2021 6:59 PM in response to sammyxlr8r

Sadly I had tried that but to no avail. My iPad would stay connected then drop out. Recently with the latest update I would stay connected for longer times, however it would drop out and take about 3-4mins to reconnect. I would have to turn the hotspot off on the phone then reconnect to get the join option and then await the time. Recently it will take ages, the iPad, to connect to any new wifi connection. So it remains unresolved and a mystery.

thanks for the response

Jun 15, 2021 8:23 PM in response to sammyxlr8r

Thanks so much for this post. I just upgraded an iPhone7 to IOS 14.6 and changing the device name from 'iPhone' to another name (that didn't include the word iPhone) worked for me too. My new phone name now comes up in the automatic network search on my Macbook Pro and connects just like it did before the IOS upgrade was installed. Before I changed the device name, the hotspot sometimes came up for a few seconds

then dropped out at first, then didn't come up at all.

hotspot not working - iOS 14.4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.