Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes no longer auto launches

I like the way the iTunes Helper process automatically launches iTunes when connecting my iPhone. I am on Windows 10 desktop.

Yesterday it stopped working. All the settings in iTunes are correct and unchanged iTunes Helper is still always running as a process. Multiple restarts, reinstallations & rollbacks of iTunes tried. All other functionality is still fine: iTunes can "see" the phone and I can synch it by manually opening iTunes. Just the auto launch of iTunes is gone.

Yesterday when the anomaly occurred first, Windows Update did the below updates. Could any of these be implicated? (Apple telephone support tells me it's a Windows problem)? What support under Windows 10 is required for iTunes Helper to successfully launch iTunes that may have been deprecated? Would running System File Checker be worth a try?

*2021-01 Update for Windows 10 version 2004 for x64 based systems (KB4589212)

*February 24, 2021-KB4601554 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 2004, Windows Server, version 2004, Windows 10, version 20H2, and Windows Server, version 20H2

*KB4577586: Update for the removal of Adobe Flash Player: October 27, 2020

I'm using the Apple version of iTunes, not the Windows Store one, but I have downgraded it to v. 12.10.10.2. Earlier versions always worked fine. I HAD also upgraded iTunes to the most current Apple version at the time the problem manifested, but if this was the culprit the rollback should have fixed it.

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 1:53 PM

Hey there Mark Isaacs,

We understand iTunes no longer launches automatically when you connect your iPhone. We'll be happy to help.

To begin, check for the setting to "Open iTunes when this [device] is connected" within iTunes.

- Select the device icon in the upper-left of iTunes.

- Go to the iPhone Summary page

- Locate the "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" option and make sure it is selected.

If you don't have that option or it's already selected, you could remove all iTunes components and reinstall. This is a bit different than just uninstalling iTunes by itself. Use the steps here: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

If you still experience issues, it could be related to Windows.

Cheers!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 1:53 PM in response to Mark Isaacs

Hey there Mark Isaacs,

We understand iTunes no longer launches automatically when you connect your iPhone. We'll be happy to help.

To begin, check for the setting to "Open iTunes when this [device] is connected" within iTunes.

- Select the device icon in the upper-left of iTunes.

- Go to the iPhone Summary page

- Locate the "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" option and make sure it is selected.

If you don't have that option or it's already selected, you could remove all iTunes components and reinstall. This is a bit different than just uninstalling iTunes by itself. Use the steps here: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

If you still experience issues, it could be related to Windows.

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2021 8:09 PM in response to Mark Isaacs

I tried the manual uninstall of iTunes and all its related components and folders as per https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204275, and then reinstall iTunes as recommended. This did not resolve it, I understand it could be a Windows problem.

So I ran DISM.exe and System File Checker. SFC fixed some corrupted files but did not resolve the issue.

I also rolled back recent Windows Updates but that also did not resolve it.

Is there anything else in Windows that might be getting in the way of iTunesHelper.exe launching iTunes upon iPhone connection as it should? Any possible causes or clues on my issue?

Obviously I'm not going to reinstall Windows over this.

ITunes no longer auto launches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.