Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (2018) Big Sur 11.2.3 Bluetooth going in and out

I got my mini last year with 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 and keep it up to date but I'm still having the Bluetooth issue where the keyboard lags, the headphones go out and back on quickly, and the mouse jumps when it catches up.

Others have said that the Big Sur update would fix this, it hasn't. Resetting the Bluetooth module slightly improves things. I've moved my USB devices away from the mini and am trying to stay on the USB a, but my external hard drive is on USB c.

I have a keyboard, printer, mic, and camera on the USB a, connected on a single anker USB hub.

Is there anything else I should be doing to keep my Airpods from going out and on and the magic mouse 2 from stumbling?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:00 AM

You can skip the 2 adapter and buy cables with C on one end and A on the other. So to reconfigure & recap:

1. Mini’s USB-A to Apple kB/mouse
  2. Mini’s USB-A to camera
  3. Mini’s TB1 to printer using C-to-whatever-the-Printer-has cable
  4. Mini’s TB2 to using adapter or cable if it is separable from Mic
  5. Mini’s TB3 to LaCie
  6. Don’t know about the mouse because the 380 shows up as Bluetooth only...but you still have a free port if it needs one

That said, you may still have problems because there’s too many Bluetooth devices competing for attention. But it won’t cost you much to find out. Give it a shot?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Loretta5ue

You can skip the 2 adapter and buy cables with C on one end and A on the other. So to reconfigure & recap:

1. Mini’s USB-A to Apple kB/mouse
  3. Mini’s TB1 to printer using C-to-whatever-the-Printer-has cable
  4. Mini’s TB2 to using adapter or cable if it is separable from Mic
  5. Mini’s TB3 to LaCie
  6. Don’t know about the mouse because the 380 shows up as Bluetooth only...but you still have a free port if it needs one

That said, you may still have problems because there’s too many Bluetooth devices competing for attention. But it won’t cost you much to find out. Give it a shot?

Mar 31, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Loretta5ue

Remove the Anker and connect:

1. Mini’s USB-A to printer, or replace printer with wireless
  3. Mini’s headphone port to Mic using a TRSS adapter (note that it has 3 rings not two)
  4. TB1 to keyboard using USB-C to A adapter. Consider replacing with new Apple if it isn’t Magic 2
  5. TB2 to external drive using adapter
  6. Consider replacing mouse with Magic 2 trackpad, and have it share the same port as keyboard for charging

Good luck!

Mar 31, 2021 8:07 AM in response to hcsitas

That seems like alot of extra adapters when most of the solutions I've read online say to have less things connected directly to the mini and to move them away.

These are the devices I currently have:

Bluetooth:

Magic Mouse 2

Original Track Pad (not connected) I don't like using a trackpad for the engineering work I do it doesn't work well remoting into a Windows device

Airpod 2 / Skullcandy Venue headphones / Skullcandy Push Ulta Earbuds

Logitech K380 keyboard

USB a (all connected via Anker hub, mouse is connected using the keyboard's USB)

HP photosmart printer (wifi is tempermental - loses the password)

Apple keyboard

Logitech wireless mouse (no Bluetooth)

Elegtant mic (USB only)

Nexigo Webcam (USB only)

Usb c

Lacie external harddrive

Shouldn't this work without having to buy more things?

Apr 2, 2021 7:22 AM in response to hcsitas

I am on ethernet, 5G is used when I sidecar. I don't keep my headphones connected, only the Magic Mouse 2 and Logitech keyboard.

I hear the quick disconnections on the AirPods. I'm not fond of a wired keyboard, I currently keep mine in a tray and use it when I'm writing longer things because my shoulders are in a better position with it..

Eventually, I'll be back in an office so this won't matter.

Mac Mini (2018) Big Sur 11.2.3 Bluetooth going in and out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.