Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air suddenly very slow following Big Sur 11.2.3 update, 250% kernel_task

Macbook Model: Macbook Air 11" Early 2014 A1465

TL;DR Issues:

1) Mac too slow, extremely annoying to do anything

2) Fan always noisy, running at high speed

3) Kernel_task on 250% CPU

4) When I plug the charger to Mac's port, it gets extremely hot and I mean searing hot but the charger is pretty new and I make sure to not bend the cable

5) Had trouble during a recent Big Sur update

*When writing this, Activity Manager was on 70% CPU, 15% User and 15% Idle approx.

*This is the first major issue I've had with this mac since its purchase

Read EtreCheck report in additional text section

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 7:56 PM

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if things are any better since Safe Mode disables third party drivers, Startup Items, Login items and even some Apple drivers like the built-in camera. If Safe Mode works, then you have a software issue so make sure all your third party apps and drivers are completely up to date.

You should also run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Unfortunately Disk Utility now hides the physical drive and Container from view by default since macOS 10.13 so you need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid shows everything as "Ok" click "Show Details" and scroll through the report looking for any unfixed errors. If you find any unfixed errors listed, then you need to erase the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 7:56 PM in response to zneyaz

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if things are any better since Safe Mode disables third party drivers, Startup Items, Login items and even some Apple drivers like the built-in camera. If Safe Mode works, then you have a software issue so make sure all your third party apps and drivers are completely up to date.

You should also run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Unfortunately Disk Utility now hides the physical drive and Container from view by default since macOS 10.13 so you need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid shows everything as "Ok" click "Show Details" and scroll through the report looking for any unfixed errors. If you find any unfixed errors listed, then you need to erase the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone.

Apr 3, 2021 2:08 PM in response to zneyaz

An SMC error is unlikely to be caused by the battery although I cannot rule it out completely. More than likely the SMC error is due to an issue with the SMC chip on the Logic Board or the Logic Board itself (or possibly a bad or loose I/O Flex Cable or a bad I/O Board if the SMC isn't receiving the proper power from those components). Of course Apple doesn't replace a bad SMC chip, but instead will replace the whole Logic Board. You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with an estimate for repair.

According to this Apple article your laptop is still considered "Vintage" by Apple so it can still be repaired as long as the necessary part(s) are still available. The only part which may not still be available is the Logic Board since all the other parts of this laptop are shared by later models which are still fully supported by Apple so those parts will still be available.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Apr 3, 2021 3:37 AM in response to HWTech

Ran diagnostics and it showed errors PFM007 There may be an issue with SMC and PPP003 (can’t remember the exact code) There may be an issue with the power adapter.

Went into safe mode and the problem still exists, kernel still at 250% and everything is still slow so idk if it’s a third party kernel extension issue. I tried resetting the SMC again but problem still exists

Ran first aid on the container disk and everything went ok. Checked the details and there’s no mention of any u fixed errors or any errors whatsoever. Just a bunch of “Checking fsroot, etc etc” and a few “The drive was formatted by ........” Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Btw, I’ve noticed sometimes when I start the mac up either from sleep or from Shut down it acts normal i.e smooth and regular speed for like 5 seconds before it all goes to **** again.

Apr 3, 2021 12:54 PM in response to zneyaz

zneyaz wrote:

Ran diagnostics and it showed errors PFM007 There may be an issue with SMC and PPP003 (can’t remember the exact code) There may be an issue with the power adapter.

Then your Mac has some sort of hardware issue. Any type of power issue can cause a Mac to run extremely slow and the SMC deals with power management. You will need to have your laptop repaired.

Apr 3, 2021 1:07 PM in response to HWTech

Okay thanks. Do I need to replace the battery or repair will do? Can’t replace with an official battery since Apple doesn’t officially ship the battery of this model to my country. Would have to go to unauthorized repair shop for the replacement but then again, there’s the chance of a fake battery. So should I just ask them to repair the batter?

Macbook Air suddenly very slow following Big Sur 11.2.3 update, 250% kernel_task

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.