Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard for iPad not working

Hello, after updating to iPadOS 14.4.2 my Magic Keyboard for iPad is no longer connecting to my iPad Pro 12.9 inch (3rd Generation) at all. I've tried following other guides to get it to reconnect, but nothing I have tried has worked.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:14 PM

Hey Mr.M0NK,

It sounds like you're having issues with your keyboard not connecting to your iPad. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

We'd recommend trying the steps here: Use your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard with your iPad

"Get help

If your iPad doesn't detect your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard or you see an "Accessory not supported" alert on your iPad, make sure there's no debris or plastic covering on the Smart Connector pins on the keyboard or the Smart Connector on the iPad. Also, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your iPad and Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard are in the Type position and that you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  2. Remove the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard from your iPad.
  3. Restart your iPad.
  4. Reconnect the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard.

"

Thanks!

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 4:14 PM in response to MrM0NK

Hey Mr.M0NK,

It sounds like you're having issues with your keyboard not connecting to your iPad. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

We'd recommend trying the steps here: Use your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard with your iPad

"Get help

If your iPad doesn't detect your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard or you see an "Accessory not supported" alert on your iPad, make sure there's no debris or plastic covering on the Smart Connector pins on the keyboard or the Smart Connector on the iPad. Also, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your iPad and Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard are in the Type position and that you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  2. Remove the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard from your iPad.
  3. Restart your iPad.
  4. Reconnect the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard.

"

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2021 7:56 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hello, There is a problem with iPadOS 14.4.2 update

After updating to iPadOS 14.4.2 my Magic Keyboard for iPad is no longer connecting to my iPad Pro. I've tried following the above steps to get it to reconnect, but it didn't work.

It also gives the message, "Accessory Not Supported" which makes no sense!

It was working before the software update so this is definitely a software issue. Please advise how to resolve it

Thank you

Apr 3, 2021 8:30 AM in response to MrM0NK

I have the same problem. My iPad Pro 12.9 with iPados 14.5 stopped working suddenly already last week with version 14.4. With version 14.5 there was no improvement. The contacts are clean and not damaged. The charge is also not possible. Tried all the measures in the report "Use your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard with your iPad", including resetting to factory defaults.

Apr 5, 2021 11:27 AM in response to MrM0NK

Apple is far too concerned with cranking out garbage software to keep their devices up and running properly. My 12.9" iPad Pro with the new Magic Keyboard is now useless due to this issue. I only bought the new iPad because of the keyboard. Way to go Apple... I'm super angry because the left side of my touch screen just stopped working in my iPhone X last week and my brand new $5k MacBook Pro can't even detect monitors properly (restart computer over and over until the screens are detected).

Someone please start a tech company making hardware. It's time for this complacent tech giant to be replaced.

Apr 8, 2021 3:37 AM in response to MrM0NK

After this problem, I called the Apple support, but none of the followed procedure worked.

So I went to an Apple store and they directly verified that the Magic Keyboard is not working. They also tried the keyboard by attaching it to a different iPad with a previous software (14.0) and it and was not recognized (accessory not supported).

Something happened during the last update (14.4.2) that made it unusable. In my case the Magic Keyboard will be replaced under warranty next week.

Apr 8, 2021 1:56 PM in response to MrM0NK

Same issue. Went through support steps. Contacted support & went through their steps. Apple Support arranged an appointment w the Geek Squad @ Best Buy. First thing I had them do was attach the iPad to a new Magic Keyboard - worked like a charm. Whatever happened with the 14.4.2 update turned my Keyboard into a brick. New one (using warranty) on the way.

Good experience w Apple Support - they tried their best to fix the issue. Disappointed in the quality of the IOS update.

Apr 10, 2021 1:02 PM in response to PepperWarfield

I went to the Apple store today, they replace the 2 month old broken since update Keyboard with a new one. My iPad Pro literally doesn’t move from my desk. I Used my old keyboard to install latest update poof no more keyboard after updating . An update that bricks keyboards? I’ll be really hesitant to install future updates. Really weird

Apr 11, 2021 5:50 AM in response to Geox19

Same problem here! ipad updated to 14.4.2 and Magic keyboard stopped working not long after.

Thing is, I went to the Apple Store and got an exchange. Went back home, plugged in and not 24h later, the brand new Magic Keyboard stopped working again! I have an appointment tomorrow to go back to the Genius Bar and I will bring them this issue (once again).

The ones that were able to get a replacement - is the Magic Keyboard still working?

Apr 23, 2021 9:05 PM in response to MrM0NK

Man, I actually took mine in after finding out my AppleCare+ covered my keyboard, 'cause I just assumed I broke it after too many opens/closes. I didn't even think about the update breaking it. Was 100% ready to pay $30 and burn an accidental repair. They replaced it for me free of charge. I'd probably have 'em take a look at it if this is an option for you.

Magic Keyboard for iPad not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.