Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone vs Watch Cellular Connectivity

Howdy. I just bought a new iPhone 12 and Apple Watch SE (GPS+cellular). Sometimes I leave the phone at home and go for a walk wearing the watch. At home, cellular connectivity is poor and usually falls back to (Xfinity's) wifi-calling. On my walk in a nearby park, with the phone at home, cell service on the watch is pretty bad, with calls going over immediately to voicemail. When I have both devices with me, however, in the same place at the park, cell service on the watch is fine. This leads me to suspect that the quality of watch connectivity to the cell network is dependent on that of the phone it's paired to. I'm still on the learning curve with both devices, so am vague on how exactly the phone and watch talk to each other.

My questions: Is the quality of the watch's cell service dependent on that of the phone? Is this dependency unaffected by the presence or absence of wifi calling? Thanks. embium

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:49 PM

No. If you have both devices near each other, the watch defaults to using the iPhone's cellular connection for calls or messages, it will not use its own.

If you leave the iPhone at home, the watch will try to use its own cellular connection assuming you have enabled it, and are paying for it. Otherwise, it simply will not use Cellular connection at all while away from the paired iPhone.

link->Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 1:49 PM in response to embium

No. If you have both devices near each other, the watch defaults to using the iPhone's cellular connection for calls or messages, it will not use its own.

If you leave the iPhone at home, the watch will try to use its own cellular connection assuming you have enabled it, and are paying for it. Otherwise, it simply will not use Cellular connection at all while away from the paired iPhone.

link->Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2021 3:36 PM in response to embium

Thank you, Phil0124 and BobHarris for your help and the helpful link. The plot thickens. My wife has an iPhone 11 and an Apple Watch SE (cellular), both of which work just fine here at the house. Mine refused to work--until I turned off wi-fi calling. Then, lo and behold, all was well. Wife's 11 works with wi-fi calling on. She has a couple of bars. My 12 does not work. When I turn on wi-fi calling, I instantly drop to zero bars and no calls come through to either device (which makes sense if we assume that the watch is trying to use the physically proximate phone for cell service). When I turn wi-fi calling, boom, two bars and incoming calls = fine. I think this is a carrier issue. Do you agree? Thanks again.

Apr 2, 2021 2:09 PM in response to embium

What Phil0124 said.

• iPhone - bigger battery, bigger antenna, can put more power into radio chip to boost weak signals.
  • Apple Watch - small battery, very small antenna, limited signal strength from small antenna, limited ability to pump power into radio chip to resolve weak signals

As Phil0124 says, when your Apple Watch can talk to your iPhone, it will use the iPhone for all its services. In the case of phone calls, it just becomes a Bluetooth speaker and microphone, but the iPhone is handling the phone call.

Iphone vs Watch Cellular Connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.