Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Apple TV keep disconnecting from HomePod?

I have a HomePod properly set up with the latest firmware in my tv room. I also have an Apple TV (1080P version) that is hooked up to the TV. Both are connected to the same network (Apple TV via Ethernet and HomePod via WiFi obviously).

Here's the rub. The Apple TV keeps disconnecting from the HomePod and reverting to my crappy TV speakers. I primarily bought this HomePod as a TV speaker for when I watch Apple TV. If that is not going to work I need to replace it.

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 6:45 PM

You can only set the HomePods as default audio on an Apple TV 4K and with a big HomePod (not the mini) Otherwise yes you must keep selecting HomePod every time.

However once you’ve chosen it, on whatever Apple TV model it should stay until your next use. If it isn’t this may be a wifi issue - Reboot the wifi and also; Apple TV seems to prefer also being on wifi (for AirPlay & HomeKit) and neither device does well with Dual Bands wifi

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2021 6:45 PM in response to kpurcell

You can only set the HomePods as default audio on an Apple TV 4K and with a big HomePod (not the mini) Otherwise yes you must keep selecting HomePod every time.

However once you’ve chosen it, on whatever Apple TV model it should stay until your next use. If it isn’t this may be a wifi issue - Reboot the wifi and also; Apple TV seems to prefer also being on wifi (for AirPlay & HomeKit) and neither device does well with Dual Bands wifi

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Apr 3, 2021 8:39 PM in response to kpurcell

If your wifi is Dual Bands it will keep on happening until you unlink the two wifi speeds that merge in the Dual Band, Disable the 5G from being the default. Mine now show as two; a 2G and a 5G. I can use either but I do use the 5G. The cable guy did it for me. Sometimes I would use Forget Network on my Apple TV , then add it back. It would be good for awhile then do it again.

Why does my Apple TV keep disconnecting from HomePod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.