Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external monitor / Macbook pro

Hello all, I just installed an external monitor to my MBP using an HDMI cable. However, in order for me to see the picture on the external monitor, I have to keep the MBP open, if I close the lid of the MBP, the external monitor goes black. I know this is probably a setting somewhere, but I can't find it. Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

MacOS Catalina 10.16.7

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 11:10 AM

7 replies

Apr 4, 2021 5:55 PM in response to almadecuba

almadecuba wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I did read that but it didn't quite solve the issue. Now the monitor will stay on in clamshell mode, BUT the Macbook Pro has to be plugged to power, not battery, all the time. If I disconnect the power cord, the monitor goes back to black again. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.

Exactly. It is working as it is designed to to.

external monitor / Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.