Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Card Damaged Maybe?

So every so often when I turn on my MacBook Pro this happens. Usually when I hold down the power button and reboot it, it goes away, but I want to know what the issue is here and if it can get worse.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 7:24 PM

Since it occurs on both internal and external displays you either have a hardware issue with a bad Logic Board (has CPU, GPU, Memory), or you have some sort of third party software/driver issue. The only way to confirm you have a hardware issue is by running the laptop with a clean install of macOS. A clean install is to completely erase the whole physical drive before installing macOS and testing the laptop before migrating or restoring from a backup or before installing any third party apps. You can install macOS to an external USB drive if you don't want to touch the internal drive.

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any graphical glitches occur on the screen or if the diagnostics report a hardware failure.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 7:24 PM in response to Diamond0598

Since it occurs on both internal and external displays you either have a hardware issue with a bad Logic Board (has CPU, GPU, Memory), or you have some sort of third party software/driver issue. The only way to confirm you have a hardware issue is by running the laptop with a clean install of macOS. A clean install is to completely erase the whole physical drive before installing macOS and testing the laptop before migrating or restoring from a backup or before installing any third party apps. You can install macOS to an external USB drive if you don't want to touch the internal drive.

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any graphical glitches occur on the screen or if the diagnostics report a hardware failure.

Graphics Card Damaged Maybe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.