Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share menu not enabled

Like @ffontech (thread) and @Esperanzaz (thread), on my Mac, the Share menu was empty. In System Preferences > Extensions, no items were present for any category, and Share menu showed "Not enabled."

(Config: macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.)

I created another user account. Logging in as that user, the sharing options appeared as expected.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 2:54 PM

To solve this, I opened ~/Library/Preferences and found several extensions-related preferences files:

com.apple.preferences.extensions.CredentialProvider.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoEditing.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoProjects.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.QuickLook.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ServicesWithUI.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.SharedLinks.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.XcodeSourceEditor.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.FinderSync.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist

Using plutil (plutil -convert xml1), I converted com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist to a text-based plist and confirmed the contents looked sensible.

I moved the files aside. Logging out and back in didn't fix the problem, but rebooting did, and my share options were back to normal:

I probably didn't need to move all nine of them, but I didn't feel like doing a binary search and waiting through multiple reboots.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Paul Schreiber

To solve this, I opened ~/Library/Preferences and found several extensions-related preferences files:

com.apple.preferences.extensions.CredentialProvider.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoEditing.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoProjects.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.QuickLook.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ServicesWithUI.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.SharedLinks.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.XcodeSourceEditor.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.FinderSync.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist

Using plutil (plutil -convert xml1), I converted com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist to a text-based plist and confirmed the contents looked sensible.

I moved the files aside. Logging out and back in didn't fix the problem, but rebooting did, and my share options were back to normal:

I probably didn't need to move all nine of them, but I didn't feel like doing a binary search and waiting through multiple reboots.

Share menu not enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.