Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone only partially recognized my iMac

I have an iPhone 8+ running iOS 14.4 and an iMac running Catalina 10.15.7. When I plug my phone into my iMac, a window pops up with my phone as its name. There are two buttons: Check for Update, and Restore iPhone. However, the Check for Update is grayed out. In addition, when I open the Music app, my phone shows up in the list of devices, but when I click on it, it says, "The selected device could not be found," which means it doesn't sync.

This has been going on for a while (a few months?), but hasn't always been this way. What can I do to get my Mac to fully recognize my phone?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 10:22 AM

The latest iOS for the iPhone is 14.4.2. On you iPhone go to Settings/General/Softwarte Update and see if you can install the latest update.

Then connect the iPhone to your Mac with it's USB cable and, if you get a Trust message select Trust (or whatever it's called).

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 10, 2021 4:59 AM in response to SeaPapp

I haven't force restarted the phone, but I've done regular restarts on occasion - I think the most recent was last week, and the problem predates that. Yes, I have successfully synced in the past. I don't recall when the problem started, but I've had the phone since about 2017 and the computer's even older. I'm almost certain that I've successfully synced after upgrading the iMac to Catalina.

iPhone only partially recognized my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.