Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac keeps forgetting my iPhone

Last week, I posted about a problem where my iMac only partially recognized my iPhone. The details are here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252649309, but a quick summary is that when I plugged my phone into the iMac, the iMac recognized that the phone was connected, but I couldn't do anything with it. The Check for Update button was grey, the usual menu didn't appear in the finder window when I select the phone in the side bar, and it didn't sync. Photos are in the link above. This was solved by upgrading my phone to iOS 14.4.2.

HOWEVER, now it's happening again. I typically power up the iMac, and while it's booting, I plug in the phone. For the last several days, I've been getting the same partial recognition as before. So far, I've been able to resolve it by rebooting my phone and plugging it in again, but is that how it's supposed to work? How can I get my iMac to always recognize my phone?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 3:15 AM

Based on the title of the post.

Connect iPhone to Mac

Use your USB lightening cable --> Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes - Apple Support

If unable to connect --> If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

For your Mac --> If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod ...

Use genuine cable --> Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...

See how to --> Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer ...

If you are experiencing an issue not listed here, contact support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

iMac keeps forgetting my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.