Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C ports will not charge - Macbook Pro 2017 running Big Sur 11.2.3

Having a lot of problems charging my computer. Ports will not charge, have to plug / unplug repeatedly and try another port and another port until I get it to charge. Sometimes it won't charge at all unless I reboot the computer. I have tried the SMC fix already. Additionally, if the battery reaches a full charge but asleep or just not being used, the 100% charge icon will pop up and start beeping endlessly even if the lid is closed down. If I unplug the computer and close the lid or even put the computer to sleep it will awake with the battery drained whether it is plugged in or not. As such, the only way to manage the problem has been to fully shut down the computer at night and first thing in the morning gamble for 5-10 minutes that one port will start charging. It is getting to be more and more complicated and it is not sustainable. What could be the problem?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 5:49 PM

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is interfering.

Do you have another charger and charging cable to try?

If you still have issues after disconnecting all external devices, then you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you a repair estimate.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 5:49 PM in response to marianoga

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is interfering.

Do you have another charger and charging cable to try?

If you still have issues after disconnecting all external devices, then you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you a repair estimate.

USB-C ports will not charge - Macbook Pro 2017 running Big Sur 11.2.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.