Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp - game freezes after a couple minutes?

I decided to get boot camp a couple days ago and for the past 2 days whilst on my Windows OS, my games keep freezing and I am forced to manually shutdown my iMac. Any music in the background continues playing but my mouse is completely unusable. But when I'm on my Mac OS, everything is normal and I have no issues whatsoever. I really want to be able to use my Windows OS so I'm able to play the games I want to, but with the constant freezing I'm not quite sure I want to continue using Bootcamp for Windows OS.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 7:50 AM

For older Macs, it is possible that the heat dissipation is not working properly, which may need to be corrected by applying new thermal paste on heat sinks. The symptom you describe is very similar to thermal shutdowns.

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 13, 2021 10:16 AM in response to Loner T

I think my iMac is 2011 or 2012, I don't quite remember. It's quite old but it's 100% up to date. I myself use it for playing GTA and it tends to freeze. My youngest brother complains that when he is playing Roblox his game will end up freezing which results in us having to restart the computer. Additionally, when I've left the mac alone for 10-15 minutes and I come back, everything will take a while to resume and function as it was before I was using it. (example, my mouse can move but doesn't recognize what applications I'm clicking on)

Bootcamp - game freezes after a couple minutes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.