Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Issue

Dear all,

I have been experiencing a lot of USB problem. Why Apple is still having so many problem in manage USB connected device.

Mac Pro 61, 2 x Mac Pro 3,1, MBP Retina 2015, MBP 2019... Every time a connect a USB key or external USB Disc (with non Apple FS) I have to reconnect several time changing the USB port to make the device visible. Is it possible that Apple is not able to recognize a USB device?

I connect an USB key but nothing happens. So a Disconnect the USB not recognized device and an Thunderbold 2 device is automatically unmontend and remounted. Apple... Please hire good programmers and designer. In this manner I think it could be embarrassing...

Any suggestion. Some thirty part driver?

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 1:14 PM

Zonacontrollata Said:

"USB Issue: Dear all, I have been experiencing a lot of USB problem. Why Apple is still having so many problem in manage USB connected device.[...]"

-------

What to Do:

Being a continuum of errors, then here is what to consider....

A. Boot Into Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. Keep holding it down until you reach the log in screen. Then, log in, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally. In Safe Mode, damaged system files (i.e. caches) are fixed, and replaced.

B. Try New Admin User:

On your Mac. try creating a new Administrator User, and see if you can configure it with the new user. If it then works, then it is likely something configured in your current user. Delete the user when all is fixed.

C. Reinstall the MacOS:

So, as a last resort, reinstall the macOS. You would backup your Mac, and then reinstall it. Nothing would be removed. It's just that items that have been moved or corrupted, would be placed back to where they should be or replaced, respectively. But, more on that later, if it comes to that. I look forward to hearing back from you. Keep us up to date.

Important - Always Back Up the Mac Prior:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external drive at least 1.5 times the size in storage capacity.

D. Time Machine Backup Restoration:

Restore the Mac from a Time Machine Backup that you created prior to all of this happening.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 1:14 PM in response to Zonacontrollata

Zonacontrollata Said:

"USB Issue: Dear all, I have been experiencing a lot of USB problem. Why Apple is still having so many problem in manage USB connected device.[...]"

-------

What to Do:

Being a continuum of errors, then here is what to consider....

A. Boot Into Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. Keep holding it down until you reach the log in screen. Then, log in, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally. In Safe Mode, damaged system files (i.e. caches) are fixed, and replaced.

B. Try New Admin User:

On your Mac. try creating a new Administrator User, and see if you can configure it with the new user. If it then works, then it is likely something configured in your current user. Delete the user when all is fixed.

C. Reinstall the MacOS:

So, as a last resort, reinstall the macOS. You would backup your Mac, and then reinstall it. Nothing would be removed. It's just that items that have been moved or corrupted, would be placed back to where they should be or replaced, respectively. But, more on that later, if it comes to that. I look forward to hearing back from you. Keep us up to date.

Important - Always Back Up the Mac Prior:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external drive at least 1.5 times the size in storage capacity.

D. Time Machine Backup Restoration:

Restore the Mac from a Time Machine Backup that you created prior to all of this happening.

Apr 19, 2021 6:51 AM in response to Ronasara

I have tried with the software without getting a solution: only minor warning with some indication of non signed software like LaCie 2Big Manager software (crazy!!! The 2Big thunderbolt are suggested from Apple).

In anni case in the last 15 years I have been experiencing a lot of problem with USB devices (with a lot of Apple Pro systems).

Now there is another nice problem: FCPS closes the working library because the storage seems to be no longer available (not true: the RAID disk is still mounted).

Apr 15, 2021 10:04 AM in response to Zonacontrollata

Zonacontrollata Said:

"Is not a single OS issue. I have the same from 10 years along a lot of Mac OS. Actually the issue is on Mac Pro 61, 2 x Mac Pro 3,1, MBP Retina 2015, MBP 2019 and Mac Book Air 2013. It seems the Apple don not take in big consideration USB devices. I have no experienced any problem with Fire Wire 400 and 800, some with Thunderbolt 2 (these are related to the USB external device connecting)."

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

On all of your devices giving you this issue (if not just this one), reset the SMC and the NVRAM. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. installations), system configurations (i.e. for ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Apr 14, 2021 9:56 AM in response to Zonacontrollata

It seems to me that you have two options. Option #1 is to continue to blame Apple (with no cause or reason) and wait for them to fix your problem, or (2), which is what most of us here would suggest. Download installed run the free app EtreCheck. Be sure to enable full disk access. The app will generate a report. Save it and post it below under "Additional text". That will give us a comprehensive view of what may be going on in your computer and we may find what is causing this problem. It is often some app which is in conflict with something else.

Apr 14, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Ronasara

I don't want to blame Apple. I ha working for a lot years with Apple machine, but some time Apple should go down from it big mountain and meet also the pro users, not only the consumer users. This problem of USB is an old problem which is still remaining into the new systems. I love the new look and the big improvement into the new OS like new Icons and so on, but I am expecting also technical improvement on well know issues. After this I will opt for the option 2!

Thank for the nice suggestion!

Apr 14, 2021 11:39 PM in response to TheLittles

Is not a single OS issue. I have the same from 10 years along a lot of Mac OS. Actually the issue is on Mac Pro 61, 2 x Mac Pro 3,1, MBP Retina 2015, MBP 2019 and Mac Book Air 2013.

It seems the Apple don not take in big consideration USB devices. I have no experienced any problem with Fire Wire 400 and 800, some with Thunderbolt 2 (these are related to the USB external device connecting).

USB Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.