Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you burn a dvd from iMovie with an external dvd player?

My question is can you burn a movie from iMovie on an external dvd player and how do you go about it

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 10:06 AM

Yes, you can burn a DVD with an external DVD player as long as it is also a burner and not just a player. The procedure is to export your iMovie project to a movie file on your desk top and then either open it with the internal Mac DVD burn app or drag it into a DVD authoring program. Use a standard DVD-r disc and burn at 4x speed.

If you just want a data DVD to store your movie, you can burn it with the Burn program on your Mac. For instructions, go to the Finder help menu and type in Burn DVD. A data DVD might play only on a computer and not a DVD player. I understand that some of the modern DVD players have an option to play data DVDs, but mine does not. A data DVD movie file will be limited in size to the 4.7GB capacity of a standard DVD-r disc because, unlike an authored movie DVD, the data is not compressed.

If you want to burn a movie DVD, with menus, themes, and scenes, then you would need a DVD authoring program. iDVD is an excellent one, but has been discontinued and in any event will not work with Catalina or Big Sur. Some posters on this board have recommended DVD Creator by peng GUIPING for $14.95 on the Apple online app store. Not as good as iDVD was (nothing is) but will work to produce movie DVDs. Just drag your iMovie created video file from your desktop into the DVD authoring program, whichever program that you decide to use.

Here's a link to a thread that you might find helpful, particularly the post by Batman-15:

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 10:06 AM in response to I movie junkie

Yes, you can burn a DVD with an external DVD player as long as it is also a burner and not just a player. The procedure is to export your iMovie project to a movie file on your desk top and then either open it with the internal Mac DVD burn app or drag it into a DVD authoring program. Use a standard DVD-r disc and burn at 4x speed.

If you just want a data DVD to store your movie, you can burn it with the Burn program on your Mac. For instructions, go to the Finder help menu and type in Burn DVD. A data DVD might play only on a computer and not a DVD player. I understand that some of the modern DVD players have an option to play data DVDs, but mine does not. A data DVD movie file will be limited in size to the 4.7GB capacity of a standard DVD-r disc because, unlike an authored movie DVD, the data is not compressed.

If you want to burn a movie DVD, with menus, themes, and scenes, then you would need a DVD authoring program. iDVD is an excellent one, but has been discontinued and in any event will not work with Catalina or Big Sur. Some posters on this board have recommended DVD Creator by peng GUIPING for $14.95 on the Apple online app store. Not as good as iDVD was (nothing is) but will work to produce movie DVDs. Just drag your iMovie created video file from your desktop into the DVD authoring program, whichever program that you decide to use.

Here's a link to a thread that you might find helpful, particularly the post by Batman-15:

-- Rich

can you burn a dvd from iMovie with an external dvd player?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.